computer crashing after format

blaze739

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
hey guys,
i recently installed windows xp service pack 1 on a new system i built. I have a 250GB hdd but as we all know, old versions of XP can only read 131gb. so i updated to sp2 and now it shows my hdd is 250GB, but only 131gb are usable because the rest isnt formatted. i ran disk management and selected to format all the unallocated space to a new D: drive. however as soon as the formatting finished, the computer crashed. i couldnt get it to boot again until i shut off the machine and turned it back on. now it shows the D: drive in My Computer, but it still isnt formatted. i tried formatting it again as NTFS by using windows, partition magic, and even a clean install using slipstreamed xp sp2 cd, but again it crashed upon completion. i originally thought that maybe my copy of windows was bad but i tried 3 different cds and versions and it still doesnt work. does anyone know what i can do to get the rest of my hard drive space usable? im assuming its either the MOBO or the harddrive thats the problem
thanks alot for the help

p.s. i have a Gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l (rev 1.0) and a 250GB 7200.10 Seagate HDD

First off why are you installing SP1 when SP2 has been out forever.

Your best bet is to slipstream a windows XP SP2(or SP1 if for some reason you are stuck to it) install so that right from the get go you have access to the full drive.

Check the event viewer and see if there is anything in there.....

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
it works the same way for SP1

Note:
some apps do not seem operate right under SP2 now days. So you best bet is SP2 right off the bat.

blaze739

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007

thanks for the reply but i already tried that. i originally only had an sp1 cd so i used that. then i slipstreamed my cd to sp2 and it installed correctly, but i still had the formatting problem. formating anything over 150gb crashes the computer. i even borrowed my friends retail sp2 cd and that didnt help either.