[SOLVED] Computer cuts on for a split second and then right back off again...

IveFallenAndICantGetUp

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2016
Specs:
GTX 1080 FTW
16GB RAM
2TB HDD
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
ASRock X370 Killer SLI ATX

I just got back from vacation and went to turn my computer on to no avail. The motherboard light and the LED strip plugged into the USB port is constantly on, showing there is power. But, when I push the power button, the GPU fan cuts on for a split second, the light flashes and then it cuts off... If I try to start it again it doesn't even do that. I have to cut the power switch on and off again to get it to start again, but it does the same thing.

And this point, I've taken out the RAM, GPU and unplugged all of the non-essential USB cables. I've checked the power button cable running into the motherboard to see if it's messed up or slightly unplugged but that hasn't worked either. I'm kind of at a loss.

All help is appreciated!

Sincerely,
A broke, married 21 year old man with kids.

Solution
the motherboard uses all three rails of the PSU. 12 V, 3.3 V and 5V. if one rails is dead parts of the board will power on.
if the PSU is dead, it may only be able to support a partial load.

I suggest you take your PSU and swap it out, while your there his system can test your PSU.

Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-
just for good measure

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the motherboard uses all three rails of the PSU. 12 V, 3.3 V and 5V. if one rails is dead parts of the board will power on.
if the PSU is dead, it may only be able to support a partial load.

I suggest you take your PSU and swap it out, while your there his system can test your PSU.

Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-
just for good measure

Solution