Question Computer fails to boot + VGA red light

Jan 21, 2021
Hey so recently, being dumb, I was messing around with some settings in the bios to attempt to overclock. I don’t remember exactly what I did but when I selected to continue to desktop it just crashed. My computer now fails to boot but turns on. I have tried resetting the CMOS, taking out the circle shaped battery, heaps of stuff and I think I may have reset the BIOS correctly but now I am getting a red light on my motherboard on the VGA section. I understand this means there is now a new problem with the VGA cables or my GPU I imagine. So please any help would be great I’ve been working away at this for a few hours, I’m not the most experienced with computers so it’s a little annoying for me.

here are some specs that could be useful:
wind force oc 2070 super
b450m Aorus motherboard

also I have checked my ram is seated, the gpu is seated, I know the cable to my display isn’t the problem as well. Any other ideas?

thanks and kind regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
this same issue has also happened with me, but i didnt tried any overclocking. so can you confirm me few things:-
  1. did your pc boot if you restart by holding power button?
  2. did you get any bsod? bsod can also happen in black screen with no signal. you can just look in minidump file that, is there any fresh dmp file created
  3. did you have iGPU on board? if yes, then disable you rtx 2070 in bios, change port and look weather your pc boots?

Jan 21, 2021
this same issue has also happened with me, but i didnt tried any overclocking. so can you confirm me few things:-
  1. did your pc boot if you restart by holding power button?
  2. did you get any bsod? bsod can also happen in black screen with no signal. you can just look in minidump file that, is there any fresh dmp file created
  3. did you have iGPU on board? if yes, then disable you rtx 2070 in bios, change port and look weather your pc boots?
Hey! Thanks for the help.

the display doesn’t even look like it receives a signal, it does not respond to the computer turning on. I don’t have the opportunity to even get into my computer or even reach the bios. My pc didn’t restart by holding the power button and as stated I can’t reach bios so I can’t attempt the third option you offered.

thanks for trying to help I’m pretty bad with computers so it’s appreciated but any other ideas?