Question Computer freezes and audio stutters temporarily (In Games)

Aug 18, 2019
Specs:
i7 8700k @ 3.7Ghz Stock (not overclocked)
NZXT x62 AIO cooler
Asus Prime Z370-A mobo
16gb Team T-Force Night Hawk 3000Mhz
Galax GTX 1080ti EXOC 11Gb
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W PSU

Old SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 2.5in SATA
New SSD - Samsung 970 EVOPlus NVMe M.2

Okay, so when I'm either in games (TC Rainbow Six Siege) or watching anything on Netflix my computer will freeze and some audio stutter will follow. When in a game it happens about 20 - 30 mins into a match. Not nearly as often/frequently in Netflix but it does happen.

(When frozen It lasts about 5 - 15 seconds)

Cpu temps seem good to me (Max 67c - Min 40c In games)
GPU temps seem good to me (Max 61c - Min 36c In games)
Neither of their temp's peak when the freeze/stutter happens.

Latest Windows version (dropped back to the previous version didn't help) although was happening before the latest update anyways.

Latest Geforce drivers (also reinstalled didn't help)
Running benchmarks and stress tests showed the issue came up during that process but the temps and load didn't fluctuate at all and stayed consistent.

Reinstalled windows on the same SSD didn't fix the issue neither did install on new SSD.

Ran Memtest86 a few times no errors.

I assumed it was audio driver issues at the start so I naturally reinstalled which didn't help also ran the pc without audio drivers and that also didn't fix the issue.

I'm personally starting to think there's some issue with the graphics card or the power supply.
Mainly the power supply (Going off age even though it's not old) as its the one thing I haven't replaced in a while.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard. Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Might also want to state which slots you've got the SSD's populating on the board. By latest I hope you're talking about 1903, a lot of people are on older versions and think they are on the latest version.

Aug 18, 2019
oh oops just added it.
Asus Prime Z370-A mobo

Bios version - 2201

Windows Version - 1903

my 850 Evo is in SATA port 2 and my 970 Evo plus is in m.2 socket 2

Aug 20, 2019
Okay, yeah hopefully, it stops for you.
Although mine still does it.

Ok so it's been all night and the system hasn't locked up on me yet. If it happens I'll let you know.
Have you upgraded the bios to 2204?

Only other change I made was replacing the power supply with a EVGA 850G+ from a ThermalTake Toughpower 750. And I upgraded the bios via USB instead of doing it online in the bios. For so.e reason. The bios did see the new version available anyway so I did it over USB.

Aug 18, 2019
Also before I update the BIOS my computer has started to every now and then freeze right after it comes out of a frozen state then return to normal.

Also noticed a high pitch buzz from the inside of my computer.
(I'm pretty sure from my graphics card but it's hard to tell)

Aug 20, 2019
Also before I update the BIOS my computer has started to every now and then freeze right after it comes out of a frozen state then return to normal.

Also noticed a high pitch buzz from the inside of my computer.
(I'm pretty sure from my graphics card but it's hard to tell)

So an update,
System didnt freeze at all all day yesterday. Had to login to work and i use a virtual machione. went into bios and re-enabled Intel-VT to allow my VMs to work and the freezing came back.

Do you have Intel-VT enabled on your system for VMs as well?

Aug 18, 2019
Yeah i'm still getting it also the buzzing is really starting to annoy me its quite loud I'm thinking it's coming from the ram though.

I was hoping there'd be more people active with some more ideas.