Question Computer in a car???

Clarabet

Honorable
May 13, 2014
I would like to ask what is the best possible setup to build for inside a vehicle. a car build but will be moved into a van after camper conversion

my plan is to place a second car battery for leisure in the boot somehow safely wire a computer hooked up to an inverter somehow.

my question is how can i build this pc. anti vibration hopefully. i plan on only using it when well ventilated only so using while driving is a no no.

what components would be best to use for this, id like a medium low powered system with ok graphics for when im not home. btw i dont like laptops.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I would use a laptop or a tablet. Unless the "vehicle" is a hovercraft doing 10 KM/h back and forth on an airport runway.

I can't imagine a scenario where there won't be vibrations in a vehicle like a sedan or a van. Use of many things would be out of question things like HDDs (with moving parts as ElectrO_90 said).

Anything heavier than a stock CPU cooler. Many air coolers (even mid-range/performance) have heat sinks that weigh around 1Kg or more. Put one of those on a motherboard, hit a bump on the road the the motherboard is gone!

Using a car battery to power a switching power supply though "inverters somehow" is not safe I think.

I wouldn't do it and would advise against it. There's a reason there are mobile computers such as laptops and tablets and such.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
"btw i dont like laptops "

In what way would a "PC" mounted in a car differ from a laptop?
I have an Asus Transformer that would serve perfectly in this use case. Long battery life, low power consumption when running off the vehicle battery, no moving parts.

A "laptop" with an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor is indistinguishable from a "desktop".

What performance are you hoping to get? What are you planning to run on this?

g-unit1111

Titan

g-unit1111

Titan
Not sure why so many people think this is complicated.
Back in late 90's we installed a PC in a 2 seater sports car, so the guy could run all his MP3's (way before mp3 players)
There were no problems and were using hard disks.

Hard drives don't use a whole lot of power, it's the CPU and GPU that take most of the power. If there's no GPU being used then it would be relatively easy. I think a Compute Stick would be the easiest way to go about doing this.

Hard drives don't use a whole lot of power, it's the CPU and GPU that take most of the power. If there's no GPU being used then it would be relatively easy. I think a Compute Stick would be the easiest way to go about doing this.
The OP hasn't come back, so we're just debating between ourselves. Just to me it sounds like he wants a half decent gaming machine - I don't see the problem. Monitor will be a pain, but that's about it.