Question Computer is significantly faster when I removed hard drive?

ferdin13

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
So I have been playing games like Fortnite Valorant and r6 but then suddenly one day they were very laggy. I checked task manager and it said that my disk was at 100% while running the games, and I thought this was weird because the games were not on my hard drive but on another SSD. But just to make sure, I unplugged the hard drive and rebooted, and the games were much smoother (windows is installed on an SSD). I want to add it back because the hard drive has a lot of other games on it and 2 terabytes of storage so I kind of need it, but I am scared that my computer will start to lag again. Why would this be happening? Can I fix it?

(I don't know where to post this so I am sorry if it is in the wrong category)

SPECS:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 5600G
RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHZ
GPU: GTX 1650 SUPER

So I have been playing games like Fortnite Valorant and r6 but then suddenly one day they were very laggy. I checked task manager and it said that my disk was at 100% while running the games, and I thought this was weird because the games were not on my hard drive but on another SSD. But just to make sure, I unplugged the hard drive and rebooted, and the games were much smoother (windows is installed on an SSD). I want to add it back because the hard drive has a lot of other games on it and 2 terabytes of storage so I kind of need it, but I am scared that my computer will start to lag again. Why would this be happening? Can I fix it?

(I don't know where to post this so I am sorry if it is in the wrong category)

SPECS:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 5600G
RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHZ
GPU: GTX 1650 SUPER
Plug the hdd back in....test.
Try a different sata port on the mobo.....test.
Try a different sata cable.....test.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would check on the health of that drive as primary task upon reenabling it if the plan is to continue using it.

Well spec'ed system of my own ended up having these really strange latency issues system wide, slow to react, just acting like the whole system had lag. Turned out that one of the HDD on the system was borked. Disconnected it and immediately had a positive difference.

I would probably consider getting another drive or two as replacement to this one, get an external dock, connect it and try to pull the info from it straight away. Hopefully, if it is indeed failing, you can get the things you need before it lets go.

Reactions: CountMike