Computer is slow after cleaning video card help!..?

jugheadsupernov

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hello,
NBA 2k13 used to play smoothly without any problems until i cleaned my cpu including the video card and heat sink (i removed them) for cleaning, i accidentally removed the thermal paste but i asked a tech and told me that the absence of thermal compound doesnt affect the slowness as long the fan is working... so my Q is what is the cause of slowness of my pc btw my games runs smoothly on menus.. it only lags when large amount of movements take place.. what should i do ? if i bought a new thermal compound would it resolve the slowness or should i uninstall/reinstall/update the video card driver or did i just destroyed the motherboard completely pls help..

antonice22

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hmm maybe while cleaning you damaged some of the parts of your motherboard perhaps.. how did you clean your cpu though? its really dangerous removing heatsink and cleaning cpu.

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Err, absence of thermal paste can make GPU temps rise quickly and reach higher temps. Overheat GPU working not in its best. Using CPU or GPU without thermal paste are very not recommended.

chocostain

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Dude, without the thermal paste your bound to fry your unit. Your temperature rises really fast. I know it's a very small thing and appears insignificant but believe me it makes a whole lot of difference.

Too clean is not good!

The dirtier, the better! ( Oh, this applies to other things too.. if you know what I mean.. lol :)

Mahisse

Distinguished
Thermal paste may very well be vital to the GPU's temperature but it shouldn't slow down his gameplay I think. I mean if a GPU gets too hot it just freezes up the computer not slowin down as it gets hotter.
So that computer tech may be right after all. But it does sounds weird that your computer is slower than before cleaning the card. Did you touch anything else while cleaning the card?

But yeah..Get that thermal paste on asap.

Mahisse

Distinguished
Thermal paste may very well be vital to the GPU's temperature but it shouldn't slow down his gameplay I think. I mean if a GPU gets too hot it just freezes up the computer not slowin down as it gets hotter.
So that computer tech may be right after all. But it does sounds weird that your computer is slower than before cleaning the card. Did you touch anything else while cleaning the card?

But yeah..Get that thermal paste on asap.

jugheadsupernov

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
yea i think that was wat my tech was trying to point out.. that if the cpu heats up it just automatically shuts down.. My tech was supposed to check on my pc yesterday but fate took a toll on him the other night he was held up in a gun point and the robbers shot him cold blood the other night, he was dead on the spot, idk the complete details.. no kidd.. god bless his soul..RIP So back to the problem my tech was also concerned that i may have damaged some parts on the motherboard specifically near the video card, im sure u all know that scenario when u're trying to unlock the lock on the video using screw drivers etc. then u slipped and tap the board itself, it kinda happened to me on the first and second try.. but then again everything is still working it just became so slow the gameplay and also the internet the pages loads sooo slow... (im using my laptop now) its not internet related cuz internet on my laptop is still fast and normal.. and i cant remember touching anything else other than the video card and the heatsink... someone suggested to me that i should try to uninstall my graphic card driver then reinstall it.. should i do that ?

jugheadsupernov

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

yea i think that was wat my tech was trying to point out.. that if the cpu heats up it just automatically shuts down.. My tech was supposed to check on my pc yesterday but fate took a toll on him the other night he was held up in a gun point and the robbers shot him cold blood the other night, he was dead on the spot, idk the complete details.. no kidd.. god bless his soul..RIP So back to the problem my tech was also concerned that i may have damaged some parts on the motherboard specifically near the video card, im sure u all know that scenario when u're trying to unlock the lock on the video using screw drivers etc. then u slipped and tap the board itself, it kinda happened to me on the first and second try.. but then again everything is still working it just became so slow the gameplay and also the internet the pages loads sooo slow... (im using my laptop now) its not internet related cuz internet on my laptop is still fast and normal.. and i cant remember touching anything else other than the video card and the heatsink... someone suggested to me that i should try to uninstall my graphic card driver then reinstall it.. should i do that ?

ashharun

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, no kidding about that shot? Sorry to hear that..

Well, first thing first, apply the thermal paste! Next, you can try your card on another PC, see if problem like you had happen. If yes, big chance you causing problem with your graphic card when cleaning it. Try it first so we can know for sure