Question Computer keeps getting random driver timeouts when gaming

zwolf15

Commendable
Jan 10, 2019
When I play a game for about 10 minutes my screen will go black, flicker a few times, crash to desktop, and give me a driver timeout error. It seems to be the most common when playing graphical intense games, but not all games cause it. Very rarely it will happen when I am watching youtube or twitch. Sometimes it won't crash to desktop and the computer will just stay locked in a flickering black screen and I'll have to restart the computer. Usually after I restart the computer I can then play the game fine without any interruptions. Sometimes it will happen again and then another restart is required.

I have done some trouble shooting, but nothing I have done has worked. Because I usually get a driver timeout error I assumed the problem was the graphics diver. I am using a XFX RadeonRX-580 and I have done driver uninstalls, re-installs, tried the newest drivers, older drivers, but the problem persists. I did a clean install of windows, but that too did not solve the problem. I also tinkered around with the graphics card fan speeds with the AMD tool thinking that maybe the cause was that the video card getting too hot, but again nothing changed. I dissembled and cleaned most of the parts in the computer thinking maybe something wasn't seated correctly.

This had been an ongoing issue ever since I built the computer 3 years ago and at this point I was thinking that there was a hardware problem with the graphics card. I wasn't doing much gaming anymore, so I just ignored the issue. I started gaming again when Diablo 2 resurrected came out, and now experience the problem every time I load up the game, just like before with the other games. I remembered that my old computer was in my closet so I pulled the RX-580 out and replaced it with the old graphics card from my other computer, an EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti. A similar issue occurs with this card. When I am playing a game it crashes, but usually it will crash to desktop instantly as if I pressed Alt-F4. Very rarely will screen go black and flicker, but it has happened. When it does it just crashes me to the desktop, but I get no driver error pop up.

I don't know what the problem could be. I didn't try using any other parts from the old computer because everything else in it is about 10 years old and probably not compatible with any of the parts in my new computer.
If anyone has any idea what it could be please let me know, thank you.

Computer Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Asrock B450 Pro 4
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750M
Heat Sink: Deep Cool Gammaxx 400
RAM: Vengeance LPX 2-8 GB sticks 16 GB total

zwolf15

Commendable
Jan 10, 2019
I swapped out the power supply with the one from my old computer, but I am still having the same problem. The old power supply is 500w, but from my understanding that should be plenty.

zwolf15

Commendable
Jan 10, 2019
Here is some video footage of the driver timeout happening.

driver time out

It happened just like this 2 times before I recorded that, usually restarting the computer makes the problem go away for a few hours. What happens in the video is actually the best case scenario. As I said previously, sometimes the computer gets stuck on a flickering black screen. This was running on the RX-580.