Dec 7, 2019
Hello. I was not sure where to put this thread but I supposed it might be fitting within the graphics cards subject. I purchased components for a computer about a month ago, the specifications are as follows:

MSI B450 Gaming plus max
Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 3X 8G
750w Corsair 80+ bronze semi-modular

My issue is that the computer is not at all performing as it should. As soon as I had everything going, first try without any issues I updated drivers for the processor, motherboard and graphics card. However, it feels as if the graphics card, a card mostly known for 1440p performance in gaming, is unable to even hold 60 fps at 1080p in most games I've tried.

Games:
Dying light
Borderlands 3
Red dead redemption 2
Subnautica
Space Engineers
Grand Theft Auto 5

Some of these are either not heavy at all or are old enough to where it should be expected for me to be able to play these well over 1080p. I do not understand what might be the issue, is it the gpu itself? Trying to overclock the graphics card freezes my computer entirely as well, even if it's only power limit and temperature limit that I am increasing. Increasing the core clock by even 1Mhz freezes the computer.

Any help would be immensly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Dec 7, 2019
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
ram/hdd/ssd usage during the game?

Using Cpu temperature averages at around 50-55C at 4.3GHz. Gpu I get max 65C CPU usage for borderlands 3: 35%. GPU usage for borderlands 3 at 1080p: 40%

I have 16gb 3000Mhz ram kit at CL16. It is never fully used, at most some games use 7-8GB.

I have all my games on a 1tb seagate barracuda 7200RPM 64MB cache. When I play Borderlands 3 I have around 20% disk usage.

Last edited:
is everything new?

did you download updated Nvidia drivers from Nvidia website? you definitely have something weird going on. did you perform clean win 10 install when you built the rig ? or is it an old drive from another system? also, did you download and install b450 chipset drivers? if you haven't complete these steps and let us know

Dec 7, 2019
is everything new?

did you download updated Nvidia drivers from Nvidia website? you definitely have something weird going on. did you perform clean win 10 install when you built the rig ? or is it an old drive from another system? also, did you download and install b450 chipset drivers? if you haven't complete these steps and let us know

Hey!
The latest nvidia drivers are downloaded. The win10 was clean and on a completely new SSD. And I have downloaded all drivers for the b450, including chipset drivers.

Also, this may sound silly, but I've mostly owned amd cards before, so humor me.

But I recently purchased a 1660 super. I play at 1080p on a 144hz screen. When I installed the Nvidia drivers, at first I didn't think a lot of this, but they installed GeForce Experience. If you aren't familiar, GeForce Experience is essentially a software tool that looks on your system and finds what titles you play, and basically the software tries to apply the best settings based upon your hardware.

Before using that I was a bit disappointed with Assassin's Creed Origins for example. I was turning my settings to like medium etc and frame rates would kind of drop in and out etc. Whenever the GeForce Experience software optimized it, it placed many items on high, ultra high etc and I guess dialed in a lot of the various settings.

Played for an hour or so after doing that, haven't had time to go back to my PC much with work and all. But I can tell you from where I did test, my fps rate, detail levels etc were much smoother, richer environment etc. Just overall a good experience.

I guess the other question is what case do you have? How many fans? Are you monitoring temps to see what those are like during gaming?

Also, the other thing I should ask. Are you trying to use v-sync or any technology like that? The 2070 is a very powerful card. But ryzen 3600 is powerful as well. I think a 3600x is equal essentially to an i7 8700k.

My suspicion is, I'm wondering if because you are using a 1080p 60hz screen, if you're creating a bottleneck where the card is feeding frames to the CPU faster than the CPU can process them.

The fact that your GPU can only run at 40% would be an indication of this also imo.

If you're using vsync, try turning it off and on one game you're having issues with, put all settings to ultra settings. If you're bottlenecking your CPU, if you can turn off any frame limits and or make the 2070 try to process as much as possible via higher graphics settings etc, then what should happen is that as some of the workload is taken off your CPU, I imagine your fps would go up.

Doing what I'm suggesting you may get more screen tearing in games, but if fps goes up you will have an idea anyway. But I would guess for example, if you were running at 1440p resolution high refresh rate, or even 1080p 144hz or better, that your 2070 would be performing better. By using 1080p 60hz with a 2070, you basically have a computer that has the engine of a Ferrari. But your monitor is like a transmission of a Honda Civic, and could be holding your 2070 back.

Apologies for the short book. I could be totally off, but it's worth checking.

Dec 7, 2019
Also, this may sound silly, but I've mostly owned amd cards before, so humor me.

But I recently purchased a 1660 super. I play at 1080p on a 144hz screen. When I installed the Nvidia drivers, at first I didn't think a lot of this, but they installed GeForce Experience. If you aren't familiar, GeForce Experience is essentially a software tool that looks on your system and finds what titles you play, and basically the software tries to apply the best settings based upon your hardware.

Before using that I was a bit disappointed with Assassin's Creed Origins for example. I was turning my settings to like medium etc and frame rates would kind of drop in and out etc. Whenever the GeForce Experience software optimized it, it placed many items on high, ultra high etc and I guess dialed in a lot of the various settings.

Played for an hour or so after doing that, haven't had time to go back to my PC much with work and all. But I can tell you from where I did test, my fps rate, detail levels etc were much smoother, richer environment etc. Just overall a good experience.

I guess the other question is what case do you have? How many fans? Are you monitoring temps to see what those are like during gaming?

Also, the other thing I should ask. Are you trying to use v-sync or any technology like that? The 2070 is a very powerful card. But ryzen 3600 is powerful as well. I think a 3600x is equal essentially to an i7 8700k.

My suspicion is, I'm wondering if because you are using a 1080p 60hz screen, if you're creating a bottleneck where the card is feeding frames to the CPU faster than the CPU can process them.

The fact that your GPU can only run at 40% would be an indication of this also imo.

If you're using vsync, try turning it off and on one game you're having issues with, put all settings to ultra settings. If you're bottlenecking your CPU, if you can turn off any frame limits and or make the 2070 try to process as much as possible via higher graphics settings etc, then what should happen is that as some of the workload is taken off your CPU, I imagine your fps would go up.

Doing what I'm suggesting you may get more screen tearing in games, but if fps goes up you will have an idea anyway. But I would guess for example, if you were running at 1440p resolution high refresh rate, or even 1080p 144hz or better, that your 2070 would be performing better. By using 1080p 60hz with a 2070, you basically have a computer that has the engine of a Ferrari. But your monitor is like a transmission of a Honda Civic, and could be holding your 2070 back.

Apologies for the short book. I could be totally off, but it's worth checking.

Hey! Thanks for the very detailed reply. I am sure my case is not an issue, as it has 5 fans in total (+4 more with cpu and gpu). Temperatures are around 27-34C inside the case. I do believe what you say about the screen could indeed be correct. The screen i have is a 24" asus 1080p60. I'm saving for an 144hz screen but they are so expensive in Sweden, because of shipping tax and whatnot. Turning Vsync off does cause slight tearing, but it brings my gpu usage up to around 60-70% for borderlands 3 1080p.

However, this doesn't explain why I can't even run GTA 5 at 1440p, a game from many years ago. And why games like subnautica and dying light can't keep 60 fps. Maybe it is as you say that I am bottlenecking it with the monitor.

Dec 7, 2019
Your Kingston A400 has terrible performance and
your ram is operating at 2666mhz instead of 3200mhz.

Go into BIOS and enable A-XMP.
Also check, if your ram is running in dual channel mode, use CPU-Z.
Hi. My memory is running in dual and I have it at 2666mhz because my motherboard does not seem to support 3200mhz (at least it says so on the site I bought the kit from).

But I now went into bios and updated it to 3000Mhz CL15 which is what my A-XMP seems to do. My CPU is also running at a 4.3Ghz which is strange considering it's advertised to at max run at 4.2Ghz.

I'm not sure what might cause issues with my ssd, might be that I plugged it into a sata 2 port. I'll check with my motherboard manual. The ram speed increase seems to have actually given me a few frames increase, (I was aware that amd processors seem to rely a lot on ram speed but not this much). But it still doesn't seem to fix the issues I have regarding the games.

Dec 7, 2019
Lot of people are having problems with Kingston A400 drives. It's just cheap low end product. But your drive is performing even worse than usual.
Well, trying to put it into different ports did not seem to give any performance gain, so it must just be a very thrashy ssd. Although, I bought it for 30€ so I'm not entirely surprised it's bad.