Question Computer not POSTing after replacing the hard drive ?

Jul 22, 2022
Hi, firstly I'm new here so sorry if this isn't where it belongs or there's any guidelines not being followed.

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre Edge 72. It was working fine with the original hard drive but yesterday I cloned it to a new SSD and upon installing it and trying to power the PC, the fans all blew at full blast but they didn't ramp down and there was no display output. but after taking out and reseating the Graphics card (GT 1030) and clearing the CMOS the system started working fine.

However, now it's doing the same thing again and I can't figure out what's wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Seems like Lenovo is searching for the old HDD as per factory setup. Go into bios and see if you can do a "Scan Drive". If you can and SSD is detected Save & Exit.
Also how long ago did you install the Nvidia GT 1030 ? Your PSU is merely a 180W el cheapo brand.

Jul 22, 2022
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't get into the BIOS, I only installed the 1030 a day before. I am beginning to suspect the power supply too. Might try to test with one from a different system.

Jul 22, 2022
Ok so after trying with a different power supply and the original hard drive, I'm still getting the same problem even after taking out any pcie cards. Seems like a bad motherboard to me?

remove the 1030 and all HDDs, try getting into BIOS
Is CMOS battery correctly installed with the plus visible? eventually replace the battery with a new one
CMOS jumper is set back to default?

check the cabling of all connections, unplug and replug tightly to be sure that all is in place
especially the power supply with the 24pin and 4pin (eventually 8pin) connector

Is the power supply set to the correct voltage in your country? Eventually it can be set manually to 115V or 230V