[SOLVED] Computer not posting (VGA light on)

Aug 19, 2021
Hey all. Just made an account here because I’m having issues with my Rig.

About a month ago I upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5900x. For the first couple of days I had no issues with my upgrade. However, I noticed when playing Tarkov sometimes that my computer would freeze up. Sometimes just browsing the web it would lock up. Sometimes just freeze on screen or go black and lose display. It did that for a a few weeks. Now, about a week ago I had an issue where I could not post. The LEDS on my mobo stop at the vga light and then restart again in an endless loop of failing to post. When I tried enough times to restart and pushed on the gpu it started up and ram fine for about another week. Now this morning I’m having issues again but I’ve tried removing the gpu and checking cable connections none seem to fix anything now…I’m wondering if my GPU went out or if it’s an issue elsewhere. I’ve tried running without the GPU through the mobo and it does the same thing.

Here are my specs:
Mobo: Asus x570 Plus - WiFi
Cpu: Ryzen 9 5900x
Gpu: ROG 2070 Super
Ram: Trident Z 3200mhz
PSU: Corsair TX850

If I missed anything or you have any questions feel free to ask. I would appreciate any help with the issue as I’m at a loss of what to do from here.

Thanks!

Solution
This sounds like your GPU is kicking the bucket. Your description sounds pretty well exactly like what my 5700 XT did until it died completely with the VGA light solid red. Had my backup RX 580 and no issues...RMA'd the 5700 XT and the new one came back and booted up. So, from the similarities that you'd described, I'm sorry to say that I have a high degree of confidence that the GPU is croaking or has otherwise kicked the bucket.
Aug 19, 2021
The only other GPU I have laying around is an old 1gb card with dvi input connections. I do have a way to connect it but I’m not sure if it’s to old to see if it boots with my current rig or not.

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
This sounds like your GPU is kicking the bucket. Your description sounds pretty well exactly like what my 5700 XT did until it died completely with the VGA light solid red. Had my backup RX 580 and no issues...RMA'd the 5700 XT and the new one came back and booted up. So, from the similarities that you'd described, I'm sorry to say that I have a high degree of confidence that the GPU is croaking or has otherwise kicked the bucket.

Solution