Question Computer off but monitors still on

Adriancttnc

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Hello.
I have 2x 28" Samsung 4k moitors running on a 1060 via display port cables. In normal circumstances when the system is off the monitors would display 'no signal' a few times then shut themselves off. But mine won't.
If the pc goes to sleep they're OK. They go to sleep.
If I turn the pc off then they just keep turning on, display 'no signal' turn themselves off, then on again, message, turn off and so on until I either turn them off from the power button or I turn on my pc. Any reasons why? It really bothers me and it's annoying to keep turning them off and on as the joystick is at the back.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Ralston18

Titan
"If I turn the pc off"

How are you turning the pc off?

Normal Windows 10 Shutdown via the Desktop, PSU switch, wall out, power bar?

You should be using the Windows 10 shutdown button via the desktop. Doing so allow Windows to gracefully shutdown and that shutdown would include letting the monitors "know" to power down.

Did you check the monitor's menus and screen options? Look for power related settings - maybe something such as "if no signal for X amount of time then power off".

Another consideration would be the graphic/video card drivers: are the drivers up-to-date?

Adriancttnc

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
"If I turn the pc off"

How are you turning the pc off?

Normal Windows 10 Shutdown via the Desktop, PSU switch, wall out, power bar?

You should be using the Windows 10 shutdown button via the desktop. Doing so allow Windows to gracefully shutdown and that shutdown would include letting the monitors "know" to power down.

Did you check the monitor's menus and screen options? Look for power related settings - maybe something such as "if no signal for X amount of time then power off".

Another consideration would be the graphic/video card drivers: are the drivers up-to-date?
I'm turning it off from the start menu.
Drivers up to date
Found nothing in the monitor's settings. Even reset to default.
I'm wondering whether the gpu still sends power after turning the pc off. Or maybe something wrong with the cables? I have ordered new cables and waiting to arrive.

I have posted this issue on fcabeook months ago and people who had the same monitor said they have not experienced this

Ralston18

Titan
What happens if only one monitor is used? Determine if using just one monitor or the other (not both together) by itself results in the expected shutdown.

Try running the built-in Windows 10 troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Another options is to run "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the command prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Adriancttnc

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
They behave differently when I switch one off or on hdmi. As soon as I switched the one on hdmi back to display port. Both screens flash once and start doing it again. I think there might be some issue with the cables or something is not insulated properly in my system and power somehow ends up on the display port cables.

Adriancttnc

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Bought new display port cables and the monitor's are behaving as they should.

I believe there was something in the old ones that would make power still go through even with the pc off. I suspect it's actually one monitor powering on the other one as I sometimes cut my pc's power completely (got a smart plug and pc is set to power on when it gets power from mains)