Question Computer Power Supply Surge Detected

Cy_1

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
Getting a surge detection on my power supply anytime I put in under load, i.e. playing a game. It will not surge under browsing, or youtube. It will hard reset the computer and it will present a black screen. I bought a surge protector, and also an new PSU, attempted to disable surge protection, and it still hasn't fixed anything. Surge started two days ago and it has consistently black screened my computer. Sometimes it will run fine for hours, then it will kill and not run anymore. Any ideas guys?

Specs : CX Corsair 650W PSU
Z97K ASUS Motherboard
Geforce 980 TI
Intel 4790k - Not Overclocked
16GB RAM
256 GB Samsung SSD
1TB HD
Windows 10

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS. Include PSU (make, model, wattage, age, condition).

Also the specs for the power supply (old and new) plus the surge protector.

Exactly how that surge detection being detected and presented? What parameters are provided?

What happens if you disable Asus Anti-Surge in the BIOS?

Does the PC still reboot when you game?

"Anti-Surge" isn't detecting AC surges going into the PSU (that's impossible for a motherboard to detect). It's reporting DC surges on the motherboard.

Also, you say "hard reset the computer and it will present a black screen". How do you know it's a reset if it's a black screen? A reset actually RESETS the computer and you would see a BIOS screen. Little confusing. Maybe you can explain the sequence of events step by step.

Cy_1

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
I have disabled Anti-Surge on my bios and I seem to be lasting about double the amount of time as I could with it on. The PC will now either freeze completely, and I have to manually reset it, or it will present WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

I will go step by step.

1. I start up the computer. I browse the internet, with no trouble.
  2. I start up steam, and start a game, Rising Storm 2.
  3. I open the browser of the game, hasn't crashed there, and jump into a match. About 30 seconds into the match, I crash.
  4. The crash either will black my screen out, give me WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, or it will state a power surge has been detected, which it has not kicked me back to bios for a while.

Again, I have installed a UPS, a new PSU, and I am going to pick up some ram right now. Thanks for the help.