Computer random shut off

acurbis1

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Hello,
A few weeks ago i installed mass effect 2 on my computer. It has been working fine, except starting yesterday my computer would randomly shut down and restart while playing. I have no idea why it would start doing this now, and i am scared it is a CPU issue. I have an Intel Pentium 4 3GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, and Geforce 7600 GS graphics. The computer is about 8 years old and the processor is just as old.

InvalidError

Titan
If your PSU is out-of-warranty, you could remove its cover to take a look at its output caps. If you see brittle brown/orange/yellow stuff that seems to have come out of grooves on their top or out of their bottom, you are looking at failing caps. In this case, you can either re-cap the PSU (simple if you know how to pick parts and solder or know someone who does) or replace the whole PSU.

Once re-capped, PSUs will last several years longer. I started repairing PC PSUs more than 10 years ago and none of those I have repaired have failed yet.

radeoniscool

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012

the only way to fix this kind of problem is to buy a brand new pc. 8 years old is pretty outdated

InvalidError

Titan

I'm still using a 12 years old P3-1G every now and then to do some random Linux stuff.

If it still gets what I need done done, it is still worth investigating how much the fix costs vs replacement/upgrade and chances are that whatever is fixed/upgraded can be reused in another upgrade further down the road.

radeoniscool

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012

thats your decision keeping an old pile. best option is to buy a brand new one youll be thankful. your not using the computer for anything serious like he is ur system is 12 years old and a pentium 3. no offense but cheapness is not the way

If all a system needs to do is get somebody on Facebook, it doesn't matter if it is 12 years old as long as it works. Web browsing worked just fine on 1992 hardware, which is much rose than 2000 hardware.

I wouldn't bother trying to play Diablo 3 on a computer from 2000, but the percentage of people that buy computers for high end gaming is so small as to be negligible.

It may not seem so if you hang out around here a lot, but 99.9999999% of the people in the world don't.

radeoniscool

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012

the poster plays mass effect 2. thats a video game not facebook. he plays games not just web browsing

I understand that, but I am replying to you not him. You are talking like the only type of computer worth anything is a super fast one with current gen tech and that isn't at all reflective of reality.

I wouldn't suggest people play games on 12 year old hardware, but I would say they could probably get by on 12 year old hardware if all they really wanted to do is get on Facebook, which is a far cry from "cheapness is not the way".

I just mean to draw a line between "not the way in this instance" and "not the way ever" in order to make sure nobody is confused that there is clearly a separating line.

InvalidError

Titan

Why should I be thankful? My P3 is still plenty fast enough to compile and run command-line programs I need to run to do what I need it to do. If you read my post, I only use the P3 for "random Linux stuff" which implies I have other PCs for everyday use just like nearly everyone else here.

My current PC's performance is memory-bound due to "only" having 8GB so I definitely wouldn't be going anywhere with my P3's 512MB... except for the few corner cases where I actually need to use it to do minor *nix stuff.

radeoniscool

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012

waste of money investing in a system that far gone. youll be able to have fun and play games if you buy something better. your only holding yourself back. and before you know it your 12 yr old machine will be completley worthless it wont sell for 10 bucks. best off selling it now trying to get 100 bucks

radeoniscool

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012

thats BS u dont own any other pcs that are new. if you were smart u would run "command line" on ur so called other computers

Another thing to look into is overheating. Pentium 4's were known for running hot. Has this computer been cleaned out at all? If it hasn't then it's probably loaded with dust and that along with a hot processor is perfect combination for overheating.

InvalidError

Titan

My other computers run Windows and writing simple command-line tools on Windows is simply annoying. I would also need to install a GNU/bash emulation environment on Windows along with Perl and other stuff that is taken for granted on *nix OSes if I want to do my pre/post-processing on the same PC. Instead of wasting hours trying to put all that stuff together, simpler to run it on a PC/OS that has all that stuff standard.

radeoniscool

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012

ya ok bud thats retarded instead of killing 2 birds with one stone you choose not to. i smell a liar who doesnt have more then one computer

InvalidError

Titan

Prescott was notoriously bad but Northwood was ok.

Most Northwoods shipped before Intel switched to orb-style HSFs and those rectangular HSFs did have a tendency to pack up with dust quickly. Orbs don't seem to pack up slower but after eight years, it could certainly still become a problem if it has not been cleaned in a long time.

The P4s were the first to implement thermal throttling and thermal trip, the OP should be noticing performance degradation before lock-up/reboot if heat is the problem.

At first, I thought you were actually serious. Nope, you are definitely just a regular troll.

tjs4ever

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I recommend getting a psu if you're attached to the computer (whatever the reason). I just sold a cheapo one on craigslist for $10. Try something like that, maybe Ebay. I recommend going cheap, but I will not condemn you for going otherwise. Why replace something that suits your needs? I don't drive a Ferrari, yet somehow I get to work every morning. :)

Except that cheapy PSUs are known not to work well.

You get what you pay for with PSUs.

They deserve 10% of the build budget to be allocated to them.

They have such a huge impact on how stable a computer operates that I can't imagine why anyone would want to get one that sucks.

InvalidError

Titan

I wouldn't specifically aim for 10% but I would at least aim for something that is at least 80+ Bronze from a well-known brand that has at least 50% more capacity than expected peak load so it stays near its maximum efficiency while the system is under medium/heavy load.

Generic PSUs that do not even have 80+ certification still get the job done but at 60-75% efficiency, they are quite horrible for air-conditioning bills and they tend to need a re-capping after 2-3 years of moderate use due to using under-engineered Chinese Japanese-sound-alike brand caps.

tjs4ever

Honorable
May 17, 2012
You have to keep in mind the age of this machine: he could easily spend $100 on a psu. What is 10% of the value of this machine? $12.50 maybe? Wait for a deal on Newegg. I've sold or purchased plenty of stuff through classified ads, many even factory sealed. Cheapo can mean inexpensive.