Question Computer Randomly Freezes up for several minutes

Vax

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Hello TH.

So I have run into a bit of a problem, which started around 3 or so days ago.

At random moments, but only when I'm pushing to close/open a program, my computer will freeze/hang for 3-5+ minutes. These programs have so far been:

• Sea of Thieves(Windows 10 requiring video game)
  • Google Chrome (Both opening it and closing it)
  • Pushing the Start button
  • Opening Discord(IM software)
  • Opening Google Drive in a Chrome Browser(This was the worst one to date that caused my mouse to freeze as well, which has yet to happen, after which it switched to black screen. I had to restart)
  • Opening Skype and Steam
The process of the error goes as follows:

1. Using my PC as per usual
  2. Decide to close or open a program which I do several times a day
  3. Instead of closing it, the computer hangs
  4. The program I'm trying to tamper with freezes first, then a second thing, and a third, and a forth, until the whole PC is frozen in place. Mouse usually stays active and usable(except for 1 instance)
  5. The computer will be stuck like this for up to 3-5 minutes, before suddenly snapping back to attention, where every click, keystroke, or command I did while it was frozen, happens all at once.
I've checked every area for an error message, but I can't find any anywhere. Even on the more rarely used Reliability History Monitor, do I see nothing out of the ordinary, and my reliability sits at a solid 7/10, which according to the average, is pretty good.
I've tried scanning my Windows harboring HDD for any errors or faults, but the scan came back with 0 problems of any kind.

According to my computer's built-in diagnostics tools, it is in perfect health, yet despite updating every last driver I have, updating windows until there were no more updates to be had, defragmenting and cleaning up my HDD, my PC will still randomly hang for minutes at a time, with seemingly no way to get rid of it other than 1) restarting, or 2) be patient and wait/hope for it to snap out of it.

Any suggestions/troubleshooting tips would be helpful.

onespeedbiker

Prominent
Apr 13, 2019
What is your PC motherboard, GSU, PSU, RAM? Have you made any changes or upgrades recently? You should test your RAM memtest86 https://www.memtest86.com/ . You may also be having a overheating issue. Check your case is cleaned of accumulated dust, especially your PSU intake, fans and vents. It could also be due to a PSU failing.

You should also open task manger and monitor your disk and CPU usage.

Last edited:

Vax

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I'll try and test my RAM

I have made no recent upgrades

I cleaned out my PC of dust recently

No signs of overheating. I tried monitoring it and the software I use has a nifty 'highest temperature recorded' function. It showed the highest being 54 degrees C. So not really that hot.

I will try and see if it's a RAM problem. I just had to reboot my PC cause Google drive black screened me.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS