Little_Barol

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hello. Sorry if this is in the wrong category im new. If it is mods please move it. I've been having trouble with playing games on my computer. I was playing Garry's Mod for an hour or 2 today and all of a sudden my system shut off. This has happened numerous times for the past few months, In fact, everytime i played any steam game it has happened. I notcied everytime my system shuts off from the game, I go to feel the Power supply and its very hot. Its extremely annoying and none of the other computers in my house do this. Please help. What should I do, and is it the power supply?

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I would replace that PSU as soon as you can since it is getting overheated and causing your computer to shut down in order to save itself. Can you see if the PSU has a fan and if said fan has stopped spinning when the computer is on?

Little_Barol

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

The power supply does have a fan, and it does turn on along with the computer. But when i feel the air from the fan come out of the bottom of the PSU, it feels a bit warm. I've also opened up the computer shell and put a small desk fan next to the PSU to try and cool it down. It cooled it down maybe a few degrees, but not much. It still overheats/turns off.

Also, here are my specs if you need them:
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 4600+
2.41 GHz 2 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension
ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
AGEIA PhysX