[SOLVED] Computer restarts while playing games

Nov 23, 2020
My computer restarts after few minutes of gaming. It happens only while playing some games thtat demand more computing power (e.g. computer restars after 5min of playing Borderlands 3 but minecraft works fine).
While restarting GPU fans are working for 100% power for a few seconds.
Computer specs
MB Asus M5A97 Evo R 2.0
AMD FX-6300 Black editon + Fortis 3
RX 590 XFX 8GB
GoodRam Play 16GB (2x4GB + 8GB) DDR3
SSD Adata su800 1TB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
PSU Corsair VS550
I OC my CPU 6 months ago to 1.4V and 4.5Ghz and it was stable.
Temperatures are ok - GPU is about 73C and CPU 55C (while playing).
GPU is buzzing like coil whine while playing but I'm not sure if it should be so loud.
Today I restarted BIOS and check the connctions but it didn't help.
Is my PSU or my CPU dying because OC or is it something else?

UPDATE
On Valley Benchmark 1.0 computer restarts (extrime settings and higher, GPU temp 75 max)
While runnig torture tests with prime95 everything is ok.

Last edited:

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Something about 4 years. I wanted to try with difrent PSU but I dont have one.
Run memtest if you want to rule out memory issues, but the fact the computer is stable with prime95 and restarts with heaven benchmark would imply a issue relating to the GPU. The XFX RX 590 can pull 300 watts under load according to overclockersclub testing, with its temp maxing 80c; and the FX-6300 can pull over 200 watts under load. Im wondering if 550w is enough for that build, it might not be a bad psu, just not enough power potentially? Did you check power consumption of the gpu/cpu under load? 80 plus white 550w simply might not be enough juice.

Nov 23, 2020
Run memtest if you want to rule out memory issues, but the fact the computer is stable with prime95 and restarts with heaven benchmark would imply a issue relating to the GPU. The XFX RX 590 can pull 300 watts under load according to overclockersclub testing, with its temp maxing 80c; and the FX-6300 can pull over 200 watts under load. Im wondering if 550w is enough for that build, it might not be a bad psu, just not enough power potentially? Did you check power consumption of the gpu/cpu under load? 80 plus white 550w simply might not be enough juice.
I only use web PSU calculator and it says PSU is enough but I will try with wattmeter.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I only use web PSU calculator and it says PSU is enough but I will try with wattmeter.
How about like cpuid hwmonitor running while doing the heaven benchmark? Also run memtest for a bit just to be sure you are all set on that front. That psu has only got so much proficiency of the 550w its rated for...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
yep, the 6300 on top of that = over 500w under load on a 550w 80 plus white psu.
Negative, not even that.

Gaming graphics cards are the most stressful things for power supplies to have to deal with.
Cpus typically don't push psus that hard, even with overclocks.

What you have here though, is a ~4 year old home/office grade psu paired with a gaming gpu.
Corsair's VS series wasn't designed for those kinds of gpus long term.

That's why my bet was on the gpu + psu.

Reactions: dudio

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
500W under load? How do you figure?

That's an easy theory to test. Go into AMD Settings - Performance - Tuning, and set the power limit to -30% and run again.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-fx-6300-power-consumption.1420659/#post-10566314

"The FX-6300 is 102w idle and 227w stressed" -jaguarskx (moderator on tomshardware), XFX RX 590 95w idle, 314 under 100% load - overclockersclub testing.

Power.png

r4VULgq.png

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Negative, not even that.

Gaming graphics cards are the most stressful things for power supplies to have to deal with.
Cpus typically don't push psus that hard, even with overclocks.

What you have here though, is a ~4 year old home/office grade psu paired with a gaming gpu.
Corsair's VS series wasn't designed for those kinds of gpus long term.

That's why my bet was on the gpu + psu.
I see, I mean both components under full load is over 500w on a 550w 80 plus white, but I dont doubt a higher end PSU would be perferred, although I'm not sure I'd choose a 550w personally, though I'm no expert.