Jan 1, 2020
PC Specification:
Desktop age:
1 year
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super
CPU: Intel i7-7700k 4.2GHz
Motherboard: B250M Bazooka MS-7a70 DDR4-2400
Bios Version: American Megatrends Inc 1.70 7/03/2018
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz (X2 sticks of 8 gig)
Power Supply: Thermal Take Smart 600 wat
Memmory units: M.2 118 gigs (40 gig free) OS is installed, 2TB HHD, 1TB SSD Samsung
Updates and Drivers: BIOS, Windows, and GPU are all up to date, have not updated anything else

My Question:
Hey yall, hoping someone here might be able to offer a newb some help :).

Currently, I am facing a problem where I have, my desktop will restart when in idle or low power usage, but never when gaming, and it does not give me a BSOD. This issue has been going on for about 5 months but has been more frequent in the past 2 months, where the restarts have been as consistent as 2 - 3 times a day. I have never gotten a blue screen from the restart and when the computer restarts it will be as though it was a regular restart issued by myself.

The following is a list of steps I have tried to resolve the issue.
  • Re-seated RAM from lane 2 & 4 to 1 & 3
  • Replaced RAM 16 gigs (two 8 sticks) to a new set of 16 gigs (two 8 sticks)
  • Replaced GPU Nvidia 1050 TI to MSI 2070 Super
  • Changed power options from "Balanced" to "High Performance"
  • Changed power options "Turn off Display" to Never and "Put the computer to sleep" to Never
  • Changed power options in"Change advanced settings" and modified the following categories:
    • Turn off Hard disk after set to Never,
    • Sleep
      • Sleep after set to Never,
      • Allow hybrid sleep set to Off,
      • Hibernate after set to Never,
    • Processor power management
      • Minimum Processor state set to 100%
  • Virus scan is all good (Just for clarity sake I only game, check email, and pay bills with this PC)
  • Troubleshoot settings -> Power: Resulted in "fixing" a few things.
  • Ran the following lines in CMD
    • sfc /scannow
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • I went to the settings and disabled "automatically restart" in hopes to get a blue screen to possible see an error message, no such luck.
  • Changed power outlet to see if it was an issue with the houses wiring
  • Removed surge protector to use a straight connection from PC to a power outlet to see if it was a serge protector problem.
Programs running during the crash
  • Discord
  • Twitch app
  • Chrome
  • Steam
  • iCUE (Corsair headset management program)
Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make sure anyone reading this had the full picture and knows what has been tried so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I am not afraid to purchase a new CPU, Power supply, or reformat my computer, but I would like to try and fix it before it comes to that.

I hope y'all have a happy New Year and I'm looking forward to any help that can be offered.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Is it when the pc goes to sleep? Do disable the energy saving states C6/7 in the bios ,see if this helps.

Other thing to mention is that your psu isn't really great quality,migth want to think about getting something better.Might be the issue itself.

You have a happy new year too.;)

Reactions: Skekletor
Jan 1, 2020
Is it when the pc goes to sleep? Do disable the energy saving states C6/7 in the bios ,see if this helps.

Other thing to mention is that your psu isn't really great quality,migth want to think about getting something better.Might be the issue itself.

You have a happy new year too.;)

Thanks for the quick reply,

Just as a quick note, I never put the PC in sleep.

I'll be honest I'm really new to setting up my own computer and changing things in the BIOS but I will learn to change those states and get back to you as soon as I can. I will update you as soon as I can.

Do you have any recommendations on a good PSU?

Jan 1, 2020
I have disabled the "Inte; c-State" settings and I hope this resolves the issue but will keep you updated if something changed.
What budget?

My current budget is 100, I would like to not spend more then that on a PSU if it turns out to be a necessary purchase :)

Thanks again for the support!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: Skekletor
Solution