Computer Shuts down automatically. Somehow..

rockstar_7

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hey guys,

My computer recently shut it self off, as in 'Shut down' completely after turning off the display.
After, this happened.. I tried turning it ON and it turned right off after a second of staying ON.

Sounds Familiar?
A Laptop-battery, once almost over, causes the laptop to shut down after killing the display and does not allow the laptop to boot unless it is connected to a wall charger

Here's my Build-specs:

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Msi GTX 660Ti PE/OC (Factory Clockspeed)
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz
Corsair HX750 PSU
Corsair 600T
Cooler Master EVO 212

OCZ Agility 4 128GB (Boot Drive)
Seagate (Users-Drive)
Toshiba (Data Drive)

-------------------------------------------------------
Important Settings:
Virtu MVP - Setup correctly
iGPU DISPLAY port used
-------------------------------------------------------

So i was just trying to understand what the problem could be..
Is it the Ram, Motherboard, GPU or the PSU? Which one and why?

PC is working now, but im still paranoid. And, once it boot up.. it didn't give any error message as it had shut itself down properly.

Thanks.

dosdecarnitas

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
its definetly overheating, if it where PSU it would have turned on right back after you click the ON button and after you would LOAD it it would shut off but not inmediatly as it did in your case,

it turned back on and stayed on after a while because you let it cool off

check FANS for dust and a dirty ventilation obviously check for faulty fans

InvalidError

Titan

I doubt it.

CPUs cool down very quickly when the computer shuts down. If you run prime95 or furmark while monitoring CPU temperatures, core temperatures can drop by 10-20C in a matter of seconds after stopping the burn-test. If the CPU-HSF contact was bad enough that the CPU can re-overheat within seconds of power-up, OP would not be able to boot into the OS at all.

In my experience, failing PSUs account for the lions' share of random shutdown followed by boot-looping and increasingly rare boot success.

quas

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2012
Check RAM for errors. RAMtest each RAM separately, because if you test them together, sometimes they might pass the test. While you're at it, make sure that each RAM slot is functioning properly too.

rockstar_7

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

If the CPU needs reseating, it would never have allowed the computer to boot, right? I was quite paranoid about my CPU-seating, but after my computer booted successfully, I never looked back. By the way, my PC is about a week old :p

I agree with what you said about the CPU-HSF contact, but my PSU doesn't seem like it failed. This is because my PC successfully shut itself down.. and then failed the first boot (turned off in under a second) and after 10 seconds booted up correctly on pressing the On button.

So what do you think? Please discuss this some more.

Yes, my first suspect was the ram. Please tell me how i can test the ram. Must i do it at a Hardware level (by removing the ram dimms and placing them in different slots and testing them one at a time)? or is there a utility that can help me test it.

By the way, I ran 3DMARK11, got a GPU score of 11800 (with the help Virtu MVP) and then Prime95 for 2 hours and then tried the Blend Test for 1 hour... Played Skyrim at Ultra settings for about 3 hours right after all those tests. And nothing happened...

So am i in the clear? -- that event made me paranoid... reminds of how a laptop behaves when the battery runs out.

quas

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2012
Yes, you remove the ram dimms and placing them in different slots and testing them one at a time. Then, you use Memtest. It's free. I use the USB flash drive version, then I have it installed on a flash drive, go to Bios to select boot from USB, test begins!

rockstar_7

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
It's not my memory folks.
No, not the motherboard..
The psu?.. hmm Na.

It's the GPU (my MSI Power Edition 660Ti)! and it did it again this time..
Have a look at this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,18013.html

Heres more info on the behavior:

1) When i flash the motherboard bios.. it takes one failed reboot and works on the next one (normal? -- i dont think so). It's almost as if the motherboard is adjusting something to allow the system to boot with a 9.0V PWM GPU!

2) When my system crashes (crashed while using Virtu MVP in i-mode and d-mode, so i dont think Virtu MVP is to blame) it shuts down and then fails the first reboot and runs immediately after the next reboot.

Please help me. My GPU is stressing my PSU! (as pointed out in the article)