Jul 3, 2024
Hello! I just "upgraded.." my PC. I bought a new CPU, GPU, SSD and motherboard.

And heres the thing, the motherboard i bought has non working A1 and A2 slots for RAM.
I knew it before i bought it, i even said to the person selling that i want dual channel to work, i didnt know that in order for dual channel to work the RAM has to be in A1 B1 / A2 B2 slots and they didnt warn me that it wont work on it. I bought it from a service place!
I guess they wanted it gone

Now, i have 2x8gb 3200mhz RAM installed in B1 B2 slots. XMP doesnt work, i get blue screens so i dont use it. Performance is HORRIBLE in some games.
COD modern warfare 2019 works nicely on max settings 2056x1080 21:9.
But TLOU Part 1 in menu gets 40 frames lol.

So my question is, should i buy 32gb RAM to work in single channel or should i change the motherboard and stick to dual channel? And also, if RAM would be the answer, would you recomend something?
What would be better and is there a big difference?

Here are my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x with Wraith Prism
GPU: RTX 3070 Gigabyte Vision OC (Undervolted)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3200Mhz
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 550w
MTB: ASUS X570-PLUS Tuf Gaming

EDIT:

SSD: WD Black 850x 2TB

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2024
this is also a very low quality power supply.

if you are still within the return period,
you definitely should get your money back and put it towards something better.
I realize that its not the best, its from my previous budget build.

Family paid some shop to build a PC for me like 5 years ago so i can't get my money back.
They built me a nice setup for good money with Ryzen 5 2600, GTX 1660, the PSU that i have now and this G.SKILL RAM that i have now and thats the only 2 things i have now left from that build.

I will sell this PSU and buy a 1000w one for future upgrades.

Right now i have two PSUs i am considering buying.

Corsair RM1000x and EVGA 1000GQ. Both 1000w and 80 plus gold.

Will this be a good choice? Or should i look for something with platinum rating?

Last edited:
Corsair RM1000x and EVGA 1000GQ. Both 1000w and 80 plus gold.
the RMx series are pretty good quality.
the GQ are more mid-tier quality.

i would pick the RMx out of those 2.

should i look for something with platinum rating?
these ratings are not related to the quality of the unit, just their energy efficiency.
many customers get suckered into low quality, even dangerous, units by reading this rating and thinking it means they're reliable.

one way of determining the quality of a unit will be by the manufacturer offered warranty.
if they have faith that the unit will be safe and reliable it will normally have a warranty of >/= 7 years and will include connected devices.

but you should still do individual research to see what reviewers have stated about the quality of materials used and the reliability of each unit.

Jul 3, 2024
the RMx series are pretty good quality.
the GQ are more mid-tier quality.

i would pick the RMx out of those 2.

these ratings are not related to the quality of the unit, just their energy efficiency.
many customers get suckered into low quality, even dangerous, units by reading this rating and thinking it means they're reliable.

one way of determining the quality of a unit will be by the manufacturer offered warranty.
if they have faith that the unit will be safe and reliable it will normally have a warranty of >/= 7 years and will include connected devices.

but you should still do individual research to see what reviewers have stated about the quality of materials used and the reliability of each unit.
Okay, thank you for responding i really apreciate it. You and the other person might have saved me my PC lol.

I changed my mind and will be buying a new Corsair RM850X instead of the used RM1000X because i dont need a 1000w PSU and its used so yeah.
I calculated everything and it will be enough even for future upgrades.
For 40$ more i have a reliable new unit and its white so it will fit my case and card.

Thank you again, especially for the RAM and MTB thing. I really didn't know what to do anymore

TRENDING THREADS