[SOLVED] Computer shuts down (total power loss) after exiting some demanding games or finishing OCCT GPU test ?

Apr 22, 2021
First of all, sorry if I don't explain well enough, and thank you in advance for helping.

All this started a few weeks ago, I decided to clean my computer case. I opened it, clean the dust (I didn't use anything electronic, and the computer was unplugged), removed the RAM and moved the HDD (testing for future upgrades) and put everything back on it's place.

A few days later, while playing (X-plane 11 in this case), the computer suddenly loss power after 20 minutes ingame. NO BSOD, no nothing. The computer didn't turn on until I unplug the PSU and plugged it again (I discovered later that I can also switch it off and on). I tried again with the same game and same place, and the same thing happened after the exact amount of time.

After looking for it everywhere, I downloaded OCCT, tested CPU, tested GPU, tested RAM (also with windows RAM testing tool), made the power test, and the computer didn't turn off. No temp issues, I removed the RAM again and put it back on its place, I also dismounted the PSU from the cage, removed all the connectors, put them back, and checked the fan was working once ingame. I tried playing and everything was fine, so I put the PSU back into the cage.

At first, I thought everything was fixed, but then, I tried other demanding games (Microsoft Flight Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator 2, GTA V, Digital Combat Simulator), and the issues came back. The computer now doesn't shut down during gaming, BUT only randomly after closing the game. There is a lapse of 5/10 seconds, and then sometimes (and I say sometimes because is not happening always) computer loss power. To reproduce it, I have to play one of those games for at least an hour, It doesn't happen if I play a few minutes. More demanding games (MSFS, XP) will lead to reproduce it more frequently than other less demanding (ETS 2), but at some point all demanding's games cause this.

So today I decided to run OCCT test for the entire hour. CPU one was successful, and the GPU one was too, but just after the GPU test finished, computer has shut down again.

I have a video of the OCCT monitor during those power loses, but it doesn't show anything relevant. Just everything going to idle, and a few seconds later, the shut down. I also discovered that I don't need to unplug and replug the PSU to restart the computer, It will restart alone after a few minutes since the hard shut down.

I hardly find the causes for this, most of topics I read point to a PSU problem, but I would appreciate some perspectives, since only happens in this situation.

The computer is 4 years old, the specs are:
  • CPU: I7-7700K 4.2 GHz
  • GPU: GTX 1080
  • MOBO: MSI Z270 Gaming plus
  • RAM: 2x8GB G skill Ripjaws
  • PSU: Silverstone st1000-pt 1000W

Last edited:
Solution
Your under load temps, especially GPU, are a bit on the hot side but not enough for PC to shut down due to overheating. Thermal throttle will begin at 90C for CPU and 84C for your GPU. 100C for CPU and 95C for GPU = shut down or component burning up.

Last week I've been using Cities skylines for more than an hour and no shut down at all...

Cities:Skylines is CPU heavy game and there is little load on your GPU, which in turn doesn't draw much power either. However, other games, more GPU bound, will work GPU harder and in turn, GPU also needs more power from the PSU. If the PSU can't deliver it, whole system shuts down.

For new PSU, i suggest Seasonic, in 650W range. Namely either Foucs+ (aka Focus GX and Focus PX) or PRIME...
Apr 22, 2021
At this point, there are 2 suspects:

1. Overheating.
What your temps are? Both at idle and on load?

2. PSU issue.
Why you have 1kW unit in there, where 650W unit is more than enough + then some?
Also, your PSU has some solid fundamental issues, review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/silverstone-st1000-pts-power-supply,6087.html
First of all, thank you for the answer

1. Temps are CPU: 33ºC on idle, over 70ºC at demanding games, and 73ºC max during CPU OCCT test. GPU 37ºC on idle, around 70ºC at gaming (max nearly 74ºC, a little higher with OCCT GPU test).

I've only seen higher temps with the OCCT power test, nearly 80/90ºC on the CPU and GPU, but lasted for more than 20 minutes. I've never reached those temps gaming, and even had a windows message about warning me about it.

2. I bought the computer as a prebuilt one, and this was the PSU it came with. I didn't understand enough about parts at that time.
Thank you for the link. I guess I should start looking for new PSU before broking something else... Is just really weird that only happens sometimes. Last week I've been using Cities skylines for more than an hour and no shut down at all... But I know once I start using simulators It will fail again.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your under load temps, especially GPU, are a bit on the hot side but not enough for PC to shut down due to overheating. Thermal throttle will begin at 90C for CPU and 84C for your GPU. 100C for CPU and 95C for GPU = shut down or component burning up.

Last week I've been using Cities skylines for more than an hour and no shut down at all...

Cities:Skylines is CPU heavy game and there is little load on your GPU, which in turn doesn't draw much power either. However, other games, more GPU bound, will work GPU harder and in turn, GPU also needs more power from the PSU. If the PSU can't deliver it, whole system shuts down.

For new PSU, i suggest Seasonic, in 650W range. Namely either Foucs+ (aka Focus GX and Focus PX) or PRIME series (GX, PX or TX). Some reviews:
Focus+ 650 (80+ Gold), link: https://pcper.com/2017/07/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-fx-650w-psu-review/
Focus+ 650 (80+ Platinum), link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-ssr-650px-psu,5786.html
PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium), link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-titanium-650w-psu,4690.html

(All 3x of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Solution
Apr 22, 2021
For new PSU, i suggest Seasonic, in 650W range. Namely either Foucs+ (aka Focus GX and Focus PX) or PRIME series (GX, PX or TX). Some reviews:
Focus+ 650 (80+ Gold), link: https://pcper.com/2017/07/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-fx-650w-psu-review/
Focus+ 650 (80+ Platinum), link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-ssr-650px-psu,5786.html
PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium), link: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-titanium-650w-psu,4690.html

(All 3x of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)
I will take a look at them, really appreciate your help. Will update this once I get and change the PSU with a new one.

Reactions: Aeacus
Apr 22, 2021
Well, I finally mounted a Seasonic Focus PX-750 (80+ Platinum), aimed for futures upgrades but enough for my current PC, 10 years warranty and so on.

And the best part, no more shut downs since I mounted it. Thank you @Aeacus

Reactions: Aeacus