[SOLVED] Computer shuts down when gaming, motherboard shows DRAM error light on. What should I do?

Jun 9, 2021
Lately when I've been playing games, my computer would crash or turn off. The screen would freeze or go black with the mouse and keyboard becoming unresponsive. However the computer would still be on with the fans still spinning and the lights on. I notice this happens when loading into games or getting to the main menu, and always right after the DRAM motherboard light would turn on. I got a new CPU (ryzen 5 3600) and a new graphics card (Nvidia 3070) so I'm really worried.

Any help? Thanks.

Solution
Mobo: GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 2X Overclocked 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0
PSU: EVGA 500W 80PLUS Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R
I think your PSU is too weak for a 3070 and I'd replace it with at least a good quality 650 watt unit.
Jun 9, 2021
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R

I think your PSU is too weak for a 3070 and I'd replace it with at least a good quality 650 watt unit.

Solution
Sounds good! Any suggestions for a PSU? Picking out computer parts aren't my forte.
Here are two good links.
One is a good discussion about power supplies.
One is a tier list.
I like Corsair and Seasonic....as do a lot of people because they are good brands.
I run two Corsair RMx series.

Jun 9, 2021
Here are two good links.
One is a good discussion about power supplies.
One is a tier list.
I like Corsair and Seasonic....as do a lot of people because they are good brands.
I run two Corsair RMx series.

Great thank you for the help!

Jun 9, 2021
I tried limiting my GPU power usage to 50% on afterburner to test if the GPU was drawing power and it still shut off. I don't think its the power supply then any other ideas? Also I put in my exact computer specs into a pc watt calculator and it recommended me to use the exact PSU that I already have, the EVGA 500w.

Last edited:

alexbirdie

Respectable
I would leave the RAM alone...upgrade the PSU.
I would not be surprised if the DRAM light problem goes away.
I tried limiting my GPU power usage to 50% on afterburner to test if the GPU was drawing power and it still shut off. I don't think its the power supply then any other ideas? Also I put in my exact computer specs into a pc watt calculator and it recommended me to use the exact PSU that I already have, the EVGA 500w.

I would do, what jay32267 recommended.
And your pc watt calculator is simply either <Mod Edit> or outdated.

But it is your decision. If you do not even want to spend some money for a better and stronger PSU, then what do you expect with this thread ?

A wizard, who does some magical tricks and all is good ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2720853

That PSU is bad. It is most definitely the PSU. Don't trust wattage calculators, as even if your whole system load is half of the PSU's 12V rail capacity, a badly built unit can still cause issues or outright die out of nowhere.

A good quality 650W PSU can easily carry a 3070. Your best budget option is the CX 650 from Corsair. It managed my Ryzen 9 3900X and RTX 3070 just fine despite being 2 years old, before I got a higher quality Seasonic Prime PX-750. It now serves as my backup PSU.

Other better quality options include:
Seasonic Focus GX-650
Corsair RM650x
Fractal Design ION+ 660P
Enermax Revolution D.F. 650
EVGA SuperNova G2 650

There are also a lot more options in this here list (make sure to only check PSUs in Tier A and B, and ignore the low priority units): https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/

A good quality PSU goes a long way.
It is the one component you shouldn't and can't cheap out on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grab a copy of memtest86 and boot it up.
Let it fly for a few hours no errors allowed.

I also think your psu is light for your build.

Reactions: paullamb11
I would change the power supply to 650 watts or up.

Jun 9, 2021
Alright. It also seemed this morning that my gpu did not react to limiting its power to 50% and if it were truly DRAM a friend told me the computer would blue screen. I will upgrade the PSU today to a 750w at micro center. Found a great deal on a Corsair that’s not too expensive.
Sorry for all the confusion and thank you so much for the help.

Reactions: jay32267
Jun 9, 2021
Looking on micro center website and found a better deal on a EVGA Supernova 750w gold. I know it’s not Corsair or seasonic but EVGA is well known. Any issues with that?

Looking on micro center website and found a better deal on a EVGA Supernova 750w gold. I know it’s not Corsair or seasonic but EVGA is well known. Any issues with that?
I think it depends on which Supernova it is.
I'm seeing a Supernova G2 on Tier A of the PSU tier list which I probably would use.
I'm seeing a Supernova G5 on Tier D which I wouldn't use.
Personally I've never had an EVGA so I can't speak from experience.
Google around and see if you can get some reviews....or post another question regarding that power supply.

D

Deleted member 2720853

If it's the SuperNova G2 it's good.

"Corsair 750W" sounds suspicious, if it's the green CX label CX750M do NOT buy that thing. If it's the RM750x, then that's a great PSU.