Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2022
Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I'd like to apologize for the length of the post but I think it's important I clarify everything.
My computer over the last few months has had this issue where, under load, the monitor and all of the USB ports would disconnect. The computer, however, was still on and running. I thought this might be a power supply issue, so I replaced my old 80+ Bronze 650W with an 80+ Gold 850W, in addition to rehousing everything in a new case since the old case had really poor thermals.
For a few weeks, the problem completely went away. The thermals were much better with the new case, and I was having no problems when running my computer at load (mostly gaming--but not very graphically intensive games). A few days ago, the problem returned. I checked all the internal wired connections, did a thorough dusting inside the case (not that there was much to begin with), and rebooted the computer, but to little continued success. It then got to a point where it would POST, but completely shut off (instead of running but with none of the peripherals). After resetting CMOS, fresh battery and everything, the computer started to boot with my monitor on, but now only to find Windows in recovery mode. I tried to reset Windows from this screen, and after it restarts to reinstall Windows 10, the computer shuts off after POST, requiring me to reset the PSU. I have debug LEDs on my MOBO, but none of them turn on like they should if the MOBO detected something to be out of order. I've tried mostly everything aside from:

1.) Re-seating and trying to boot with only one stick of RAM. (In BIOS, the motherboard detected both sticks.)
2.) Re-seating the CPU and fan. (Again, BIOS showed no issues with CPU, thermals were completely normal.)
3.) Replacing the MOBO. (Still under warranty.)
4.) Replacing the CPU. (Also under warranty.)
5.) Replacing the SSD that the OS is installed on. (Also detected by the BIOS.)

One thing I noticed (and I'm not sure if this is normal) is that right before the computer shuts off, the debug LED on my MOBO flashes for the CPU.

As I said before, the PSU is practically brand new, only having been installed for about 3 weeks. I've scoured the internet trying to find solutions and I'm completely at a loss as to what to do next. Any theories or suggestions are much appreciated!

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4
CPU: AMD R5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Video card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS XS OC
Boot drive: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
PSU: Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular Power ATX PSU
Additonally, I also have a wireless networking/lBuetooth card in a PCIe slot.

Solution
I think it might've had to do with the fact that the room where the computer was had a damaged wall outlet (lolz). It's now working completely fine. Sorry for wasting your time.
Your description suggests a power delivery problem. I would imagine the PSU is the one to replace first, and while it is possible motherboard VRM problem, replacing it would solve the issue but it did not. Boot issues will be solved with the right boot order in BIOS (unless you used secure boot and disk encryption and then you have a problem as the physical motherboard module was replaced and data is now scrambled and not directly readable...)

Mar 8, 2022
I think it might've had to do with the fact that the room where the computer was had a damaged wall outlet (lolz). It's now working completely fine. Sorry for wasting your time.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.