[SOLVED] Computer slow even though CPU is only utilizing <15%

lyingfire

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Im pretty good with computer stuff but some stuff I still don't know/cant figure out myself.
My computer is running slow, my browser more times than not will freeze on me, even with just 1 tab open. File explorer will take a while to load up and booting up windows takes longer than it should. I'm pretty sure its my hard drive. I'm using a 1tb hard drive with 7200rpm and its almost full but I just want someone's else's opinion and what it may be? Is there anyway to make my CPU use all of its cores or is there anything that is preventing my computer from using my CPU full potential?

screenshot

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600 (oc to 3.9ghz)
GTX 1660ti 4gb
16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Asrock b450m pro 4

Ralston18

Titan
Reference: "I'm using a 1tb hard drive with 7200rpm and its almost full...."

How full is "almost full"? Should not be (my preference) more than 70-80% full.

Is all important data on that drive backed up and the backups proven to be recoverable and readable?

Have all old or temporary files ever been cleaned out to free up drive space?

Has the drive ever been defragged? Doing that may free some space.

Im pretty good with computer stuff but some stuff I still don't know/cant figure out myself.
My computer is running slow, my browser more times than not will freeze on me, even with just 1 tab open. File explorer will take a while to load up and booting up windows takes longer than it should. I'm pretty sure its my hard drive. I'm using a 1tb hard drive with 7200rpm and its almost full but I just want someone's else's opinion and what it may be? Is there anyway to make my CPU use all of its cores or is there anything that is preventing my computer from using my CPU full potential?

screenshot

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600 (oc to 3.9ghz)
GTX 1660ti 4gb
16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Asrock b450m pro 4
An SSD would help, but you've 16GB of fast memory so your problems shouldn't be from running into virtual memory so I don't really think the HDD is what's causing this. But one thing to do is defrag your HDD if you haven't lately.

If it's over 75% full definitely consider getting an SSD or M.2 NVME drive and re-install the OS on it. It doesn't have to be huge, 250GB works just fine for a system drive. You can then keep the HDD as your data disk, where you install game launchers and games.

Otherwise: how are system temperatures? CPU temp in particular. What CPU cooling are you using?

As far as using all your cores: just make sure you've installed the latest AMD chipset drivers (get them from AMD support site). Also make sure your OS has all the updates installed. The OS is responsible for scheduling threads on the various cores, and the software you're running will only launch as many threads as it's designed to. So that's not something you can do much about.