Computer sometimes dosent boot

miket1396

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
Hey there, not sure if this is the right place for this or not but it seemed like it would be.

So, for some reason my PC is trying to occasionally boot from my CD drive (it also once tried to boot from a USB with no image on it), there is nothing in the drive, but when i reset my PC it works fine and boots from the HDD again, no clue as to what causes it. Sometime it does bluescreen with a no bootable device error after a few minutes of being stuck at the windows 10 logo( hence why I put it in this section). This seems to have started when I was fixing my CD drive to actually work ( wasn't being found in windows 10 for some reason, had to change some things in the registry) I screwed up, had to restore to a few days prior, and it worked fine again, changed the right thing in the registries and now it works, but I am getting this occasional error. I will note that this also started shortly after i upgraded my CPU, heat sync, and one stick of RAM, we had to completely take unplug the motherboard to get behind it and screw in the heat sync. When I plugged in the computer to boot it up and make sure all is well, a CMOS thing came up, cant remember the error but I told it to load defaults ( something like that ) and it booted right up.

Please ask any question you have that may help, Don't want to destroy my PC from an underlying issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you update from win 7? If so, look in bios in your boot menu and set boot method to legacy or CSM (it has different names) and then it will boot from 1st thing in boot order.
If you updated from win 8.1, you will need to set boot method to UEFI, and set first thing in boot order to Windows Boot Manager, and then it should always boot from your C drive.

If you clean installed win 10, its the same as instructions for Win 8.1

miket1396

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

I actually just did that last night and when I rebooted it went straight to a blue screen with a no accessible boot device, I rebooted then it worked, but took forever to boot.

miket1396

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

Hey, so I tried using the UEFI, but I can't find much on how to do it, mostly people saying for windows 8, but when i boot into what I believe is UEFI ( shift + restart) I don't see any options for boot manager. And to be clear I did upgrade from 8.1

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you updated your bios recently? there seem to be a few there: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/760GM-P34-FX.html#down-bios

which version do you have as it appears you don't have a UEFI bios judging from pictures in manual.

the bios showing in the manual show a legacy bios (see page 30 here) and if your bios still looks like that, you may only have one boot type. Legacy. So for that type you would want the HDD as first in boot order (think you can access it from F11 at boot)

If however, your bios looks like this - https://asset.msi.com/global/picture/image/feature/mb/RWD_Img/Z170/MSI_SnapShot.gif - then its a UEFI bios and will have to choice of legacy & UEFI

it all depends on what bios version you have. I expect the newer ones are UEFI.

miket1396

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

I have not updated my bios, I didn't even know that was possible actually, is it as simple as downloading the update, or is there a process?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I will have to look into how to do it on your motherboard and will reply later as I have to go out for most of day today.

It should be straight forward, might need to do it in stages as unsure if you can go straight to top lvl from bottom.

Updating it lets hardware support newer devices that didn't exist at time of motherboard being made. I only suggest to do it if there is something wrong as it can have negative consequences such as pc not working at all.

how old is pc? Its possible that CMOS error is a sign you need a new battery - its on the motherboard and is the small charge that lets bios remember settings when pc is off.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think this is what yoiur bios looks like now and how to flash it:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxpE1N4xB4s"][/video]

lol @ floppy

As to which version to use, I would need to know which version you have. Can you logon to bios and look at version number, it should show you on the first page