Question Computer stuck in boot loop / restart

bakana42

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Hi, all.

I recently booted up my desktop for the first time in a while. I only use it for big art projects and high(ish)-powered PC gaming, which means I only boot it up every couple of months, as my schedule right now is mostly just schoolwork with brief laptop or Switch gaming breaks. The machine was built about 8 years ago, though last summer I upgraded the GPU and switched to an SSD, both of which have been working fine for over a year.

The PC gets caught in a boot-loop, where the BIOS starts up, but as soon as the OS (Windows 10) starts loading, it clicks off and restarts. ONE TIME it booted into Windows and it seemed like the problem was over, but after a few minutes in Windows it abruptly clicked off again and rebooted. So it doesn't seem like there's a problem with the actual Windows installation booting up, and it's more likely this is a hardware problem.

So far I've tried:
  • re-seating the RAM
  • booting up with each ram module removed to test for bad RAM
  • Letting it reboot a few times so Windows 10 tries to boot into "auto repair" mode
  • replacing the CMOS battery on the motherboard
  • disconnecting all inessential power-sucking things (including the graphics card and secondary HD)
  • Booting to a Ubuntu USB drive to see if Windows itself was having problems
None of those fixed the issue. It's looking more and more like my next step will be to try a new power supply, but before I drop $80-100 on one, I was curious if anyone has any other things they'd recommend trying?

If I have to try a new PSU, are there recommended vendors for a place that would let me return the PSU pretty easily in the event I hook it up and it doesn't fix the issue? Are Newegg or Amazon better about this? Someone else?

Here is my system info:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 590 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI/ DVI-D/ Dual DP OC w/ Backplate Special Edition (UEFI) PCI-E Graphic Cards 11289-01-20G
  • SSD (boot): Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)
  • HD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM$1
  • Disk drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
Thanks so much for any guidance people can share!

bakana42

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
UPDATE: I ordered a new PSU and installed it, and it didn't fix the problem. I'm not sure where to look next.

I'm thinking there may be an issue with the motherboard? Does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas before I undertake such a severe repair?

TRENDING THREADS