[SOLVED] Computer stuck in power cycle after RAM installation.

May 6, 2020
Recently, I updated my RAM from 8 gbs of 2666 MHz to 16 gbs of 3000mhz. When I first installed it, I checked BIOs as I had trouble getting a signal to my computer. In BIOs, I was only getting 2166 MHz speed. When I changed the target speed to 3000MHz, I could not get signal once again. Could updating the speed to what it should have been caused the problem? I have a gtx 1650 using an hdmi to send then signal to my monitor.

Edit: my problem is now solved of getting my computer to boot. The reinstallation of the old RAM (saved as best solution) got my pc to restart, however I was stuck on an auto repair screen from ASUS. After letting it run for 30 minutes, I restarted my pc, which booted up to the BIOs screen. From here, I reset my settings to optimized defaults.

At this point I only need to reinstall my new RAM

Last edited:
Solution

Apologies, just checking.

In a case like this try the CMOS reset, put the old RAM in and drop back to removing the GPU to see if it will give signal on just the integrated graphics.

Just to be clear, this was a working system as is aside from the RAM you replaced? No CPU change, etc.?
May 6, 2020
If you cannot even boot to BIOS you can go in and reset CMOS, it will boot back on default settings.

It would be helpful to post details of the system you are working with.
Ryzen 5 3400g
Gtx 1650
Asus a320 m-k
Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb sticks of DDR4 3000MHz RAM
600W power supply
2TB seagate hard drive

My fans are running when I turn on, I think my problem is a lack of signal coming from my graphics card to my monitor.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Yup, go reset CMOS and it should come back. The a320 board isn't an "overclocking" board but I see in the specs that the speed RAM you are using is supported in OC. That would mean that you should have both the ability to turn on the XMP profile or select manual speeds and timings.

Your CPU is "targeting" 2933, so if you can't get XMP to work right you can always try to reach that via manual settings.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
^ I agree.

Clear CMOS using these steps:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
View: https://imgur.com/vLC1ada

Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

Then you can go into the BIOS and set the DOCP Profile to 3000 BUT then scroll down to the Memory Frequency settings and choose 2933.
The save and reboot.
If it doesn't Boot Clear CMOS again and then enable DOCP but choose 2666 for frequency and see if that will boot.
If it does you can try 2866 and see if that boots.
View: https://imgur.com/CTSC77b

Last edited:
Reactions: punkncat
May 6, 2020
Yup, go reset CMOS and it should come back. The a320 board isn't an "overclocking" board but I see in the specs that the speed RAM you are using is supported in OC. That would mean that you should have both the ability to turn on the XMP profile or select manual speeds and timings.

Your CPU is "targeting" 2933, so if you can't get XMP to work right you can always try to reach that via manual settings.
I reset my CMOS by removing the battery and jumping the lines and it still is not giving a signal.

I figure I should mention how I solved a similar problem in the past. I was not getting a signal and my mouse and keyboard were not lighting up (Similar to my current problem). I reset my CMOS, which made my keyboard light up. I spent about an hour trying to get a signal, but couldn’t. I watched a video saying to “reset” my monitor, which solved the signal problem.

The difference between these two problems were that I had just installed the new RAM, versus updating the speed.

May 6, 2020
Apologies, just checking.

In a case like this try the CMOS reset, put the old RAM in and drop back to removing the GPU to see if it will give signal on just the integrated graphics.

Just to be clear, this was a working system as is aside from the RAM you replaced? No CPU change, etc.?
This helped, my pc booted up, using my old RAM. For some reason, my pc froze in BIOS. When I restarted my pc it just continuously turns on and off the rgb lights in my keyboard.

I am now on my 2nd or 3rd restart, my monitor shows that ASUS is trying an automatic repair, but is just flashing the logo and turning off. It looks like it is freezing on the startup. I am going to try to reset CMOS again and will reply to this if it helps or not.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Ok, so if you are getting BIOS that is a good thing. The RAM change and repeated restarts could have corrupted your OS install, but maybe repair will get it.

The new memory may not play right with the mobo. 3xx chipsets are known for that.