Computer trips breaker when turning on

heiso

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I am not sure if this is the correct category to post in.

Sometimes, when I turn on my computer or wake it from its sleep, the breaker trips. At first, I thought it was because it drew too much power but my brother also got a computer and his never trips. We are in two different rooms but same switch. I would say 70% of the time, it's okay but the other 30%, it trips, which means I'll have to run down to the basement, flick the switch and try again. One time, I had to do it 5 times before the computer started.

My PSU is 600 - 650 W, I don't remember how much. Besides the PSU, what else could be causing this?

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
Generally, I'd say it shouldn't be happening, so the first question is, what else is running on that breaker? You're only talking 6 amps; there's no way this should trip a breaker by itself...but it could if there's a lot of other stuff. Second thing would be whether the breaker should be replaced.

heiso

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
As far as I know, only our two rooms are on the same switch. We have lamps and heaters plugged into our outlets but they are rarely turned on. I had bought my computer in June and it has been happening ever since so I thought the computer was drawing too much power. Then my brother also bought a computer this month but his isn't tripping so I'm guessing it can't be the outlet.

Would a faulty component be causing this? I'll replace the breaker whenever I have the time but other than that, I don't know.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Check the outlet, it may be miswired, run into it all the time. Can get a outlet tester at a hardware store, WalMart or many place (about $5, plug it in and most have three possible lights, depending on which light up a legend on the tester will let you know if correct, no ground, hot/neutral reversed, etc

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
OK, well that pretty much says it's not wiring, it's something after the wall. For completeness...if you've got a UPS or power strip, test without them. I assume you've probably already done that. Next up would be the power supply. Are you overloading it at startup, somehow? The start-up draw can be substantial. And it could be that the power supply's bad. But I'd check online with a site that will report your total system draw, and if you're running close, the start-up load could easily be the issue.

heiso

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Just an update.

So I sent the PSU back for RMA and received another one but it still trips! Here's the thing though... My computer is in my bedroom which uses the AFCI breaker (the one with the green test button). It does not, however, trip on other breakers (GFCI, I'm guessing). My brother shares the same AFCI breaker though and his does not trip. What gives? Changing the AFCI breaker will be my next solution but if that doesn't work, then I think I will have to buy another PSU. I just don't want to drop money on it before I know for sure.

heiso

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Well my brother also has a computer on the same circuit as me. His doesn't trip. I think his PSU is ~600W compared to my 520W. I forgot to mention that when I plug into the non-AFCI outlets, the lights flicker a bit. Could it be that my power supply is drawing too much power at start up?