[SOLVED] Computer upgrade recommendations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 23, 2020
Hi all,
im thinking of slowly upgrading my comupter and I kinda wonder how can I maximize the performance...the plan is to kinda upgrade as much as possible, so that it will be compatible for some time on.
Current components:
  • MSI X99 Raider
  • i7 5820K (3.30Ghz/6C/12T)
  • Asus Strix 1080Ti 11GB
  • 8x 8Gb Kingston Hyperx Fury DDR4 2400MHz
  • Samsung SSD 970 Evo 1TB (nvme)
  • Samsung SSD 860 Evo 1TB
  • 2x HDD Seagate 6TB
Maybe I should mention that the computer is used for video editing (Adobe Premier pro, Adobe After Effects) but I want to get involved with Resolve for color grading and 3D modeling in the future...

So at the moment im thinking of switching from 64gb memory to 128gb and adding another 1080Ti into sli setup. Opinions? Any other things I should consoder upgrading aswell?

Thank you in advance for sharing knowledge and your advices.

Solution
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (€363.99 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z490-A ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (€199.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€444.40 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1007.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 22:16 CEST+0200

Plus, depending on what cooler you have now, you might need to get an adapter from the manufacturer if the cooler is capable enough AND compatible, or a different cooler altogether based on case accommodations.

Obviously, that's just one of the least expensive...
Ok bud. Whatever. You contact Adobe then. Seems they require you to have an account that lists the product you want support with in order to ask any questions about anything to their support people. Not going through all that just to find and answer I already know. I will however contact Puget systems, who do more testing of Adobe applications than just about anybody else I know of, and see what they have to say.

The NVidia profile for Premiere is "Single GPU only". So even if you have a pair of Nvidia graphics cards in SLI, Premiere will only use one of them when it's running.

If you want Premiere to use both GPUs, you'll have to go into the NVidia control panel and manually disable SLI system-wide before running the app.

Resolve also does not support SLI.

Resolve does not use SLI.

Peter Chamberlain
Blackmagic Design
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=62702

SLI has been around since 1998. If ANY of these graphics companies were going to support it, they'd have done it a LOOOOONG time ago. I think we can put this to rest now.

Reactions: CorpRebel