Computer Virus Infects U.S. Predator, Reaper Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Lutfij[/nom]hmm - i smell another attack from anonymous[/citation]

God I hope so. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing an arogant entity shown the real world.

Anonymous likes to think they can take on the world, but they have no idea. The resources of nation states that aren't being heavily sanctioned economically are not something to trifle with.

Stick to corporations and learn from Japan little ones, you're lives will be so much easier.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I really hope the Military invests the majority of their resources into security. Especially considering in the near future our Fighter Pilots will be sitting in a booth controlling the aircraft remotely. Someone could break into the system and attack the whole nation with their own weapons. Scary thought.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Is our military really this terrible? If your remote vehicle control system with guided missles is infected with a virus, YOU STOP USING IT. If it can log keystrokes, I'm sure it can insert them into the keyboard buffer potentially. They can't figure out how to remove a virus? How do you know this thing can't recieve a different payload? This country that our military has such incompentent security "experts" for the amount of money spent on our defense infrastructure. Have they considered bringing the PC to Best Buy's Geek Squad?

G

[citation][nom]cmartin011[/nom]china having a good laugh at our military now[/citation]

If they're laughing at the US, then they must be really laughing at their own.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I don't know if anyone read the full article over at the New York Post but jhansonxi posted a link to it right in his comment above:

Tom's shortened version of this article (especially the title) implies that the drones were themselves infected. This is NOT the case...it was several Windows machines at one specific Air Force base in Nevada that got infected. The very same source that this information came from also said "We have a closed looped system and heavily protected cockpits - the planes were never in jeopardy."

It's still bad news that any systems related to UAV's got infected but the reality is way better than the rogue predator drones controlled by hackers that I first imagined after seeing the title of this article.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/virus_infects_nevada_control_stations_NpM29a4WkNDrQ5uWCWuOCJ#ixzz1aGASp7nG

Status
Not open for further replies.