[SOLVED] Computer won’t turn on with gpu installed

Dsdavis

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
So recently I purchased an rtx 2070 super which I confirmed worked in another pc, but when I install it into my pc it refuses to boot or even start at all for a matter of fact. I also tried another card (r7 360) in my pc and it still had the same issue, when I tried to power on nothing happened. This is the first time i’ve tried to install a gpu into this pc and I never had an issue like this before with other pc’s, I have relatively no idea what to do at this point because all connections to the motherboard, power supply and gpu are in tact when I try to boot, I even went and tweaked some bios settings because I thought that may be the issue and still nothing so i’m hoping someone on here can help me out. I’m still somewhat new to this and there could be something about this all that i’m missing but I have had others who are more knowledgeable than me look at my pc that also have no solution for my issue. This really sucks so i’m hoping I can actually get some help on here, thanks!

Solution
Dsdavis Understood. Please Try one more thing: Check the power cable connected to the GPU. I would suggest confirming that it's connected on the power supply end. And then I would suggest swapping to another GPU power cable, and plugging it into a different port on the power supply. But if that doesn't work then RMA the motherboard back to the retailer that you purchased it from, or if you want to confirm the problem then contact MSI technical support. Either I'm missing something here, or the board is defective.

Addendum: When you turn on your computer with the GPU installed, does that card ever give any indication that it's receiving power? The fans should initially spool when power is first supplied...

Dsdavis

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Seems like a faulty gpu to me unless you cant install a gpu. Could we get a picture of the pc and the gpus location.
Well i’ve tried the system with a gpu that i’ve tested in another system that I know works and yet the same issue persists so it’s not the gpu thats the issue but I can send a pic of the pc and gpu location

Hi Dsdavis . Boot into your motherboard's BIOS and verify that Secure Boot is disabled; instruction below. After you do that, then please take a photo of the entire inside of your build, upload the image to imgur and share the link here. question #1: what is your storage and which m.2 slot or sata port do you have it connected to? question #2: When you say "refuses to boot" Do you see the BIOS splash screen, or anything appear on your display? Or does it remain completely black?

MSI motherboards
Disable Secure Boot
  1. Enter the BIOS:
    1. Reboot system and press Del repeatedly at system start.
    2. If that does not work, go in Windows, hold the "Shift" key and select Restart from the Start Menu. After restart, the Advanced Startup menu options will appear. Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware Settings and press Restart.
  2. Switch to "Advanced Mode" if the BIOS is in "Easy Mode".
  3. Go to "Advanced"-> "Settings"-> "Windows OS Configuration"->Secure Boot-> set "Secure Boot" to Disabled.
  4. Save and exit.
z3LSQl1.jpg

Last edited:

Dsdavis

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
I tried your solution as well as a cmos reset but the secure boot was already disabled and I also tried a cmos reset which also had no effect. Also to your other question, I get no out put at all, my pc doesn’t even turn on when the gpu is in, I hear a single click after I press the power button and nothing happens. So no output or power to the pc at all when its in.

Dsdavis Understood. Please Try one more thing: Check the power cable connected to the GPU. I would suggest confirming that it's connected on the power supply end. And then I would suggest swapping to another GPU power cable, and plugging it into a different port on the power supply. But if that doesn't work then RMA the motherboard back to the retailer that you purchased it from, or if you want to confirm the problem then contact MSI technical support. Either I'm missing something here, or the board is defective.

Addendum: When you turn on your computer with the GPU installed, does that card ever give any indication that it's receiving power? The fans should initially spool when power is first supplied. If not then perhaps the motherboard isn't supplying the initial 75 watt power to the PCIe slot. I'm only guessing, as I've never experienced that problem, but I suppose anything's possible.

MSI technical support
(888) 447-6564

Reactions: Dsdavis
Solution

logainofhades

Titan
I tried your solution as well as a cmos reset but the secure boot was already disabled and I also tried a cmos reset which also had no effect. Also to your other question, I get no out put at all, my pc doesn’t even turn on when the gpu is in, I hear a single click after I press the power button and nothing happens. So no output or power to the pc at all when its in.

Then I would say motherboard, or power supply, are bad, with me leaning more towards the motherboard.

Dsdavis

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015

Addendum: When you turn on your computer with the GPU installed, does that card ever give any indication that it's receiving power? The fans should initially spool when power is first supplied. If not then perhaps the motherboard isn't supplying the initial 75 watt power to the PCIe slot. I'm only guessing, as I've never experienced that problem, but I suppose anything's possible.

MSI technical support
(888) 447-6564
Ok i’ll try hooking it up with a different pcie cord and see if that makes a difference but yeah so far, theres no sign it even supplies power to the gpu at all or enough because it doesn’t seem like anything happens when I try to start the pc. I just here a click and nothing seems to power on. When I disconnected the power cable from the gpu the pc powers on but no display from the motherboard.

Dsdavis

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Then I would say motherboard, or power supply, are bad, with me leaning more towards the motherboard.
Yeah thats what i’m starting to think as well because the psu powers on the pc without the gpu no problem. It’s just starting to really frustrate me because I finally have a card in my build and I can’t even use it. As well as the fact my pc is relatively new and has never had a gpu so I don’t understand why this is even an issue.

Ralston18

Titan
I am a bit curious about that big gap in the PCIx slot covers?

This GPU?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2747597930...MI0Yft3Oyh8AIVQQiICR2vgAdeEAQYAiABEgIxFvD_BwE

Part of that is gap (2 of 3) is filled when the GPU is installed - correct?

Also seems that there is a piece of wood (?) on the outside covering the gap without covers. What is that?

Sort of appears to me that all that is not fitting together as well as it should....

Could be that when a GPU is installed something moves/sags/twists, then metal touches metal where it should not, causes a short and and then no start.

Just a thought.....

Dsdavis

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
I am a bit curious about that big gap in the PCIx slot covers?

This GPU?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2747597930...MI0Yft3Oyh8AIVQQiICR2vgAdeEAQYAiABEgIxFvD_BwE

Part of that is gap (2 of 3) is filled when the GPU is installed - correct?

Also seems that there is a piece of wood (?) on the outside covering the gap without covers. What is that?

Sort of appears to me that all that is not fitting together as well as it should....

Could be that when a GPU is installed something moves/sags/twists, then metal touches metal where it should not, causes a short and and then no start.

Just a thought.....
Yes that is the slot i’ve been trying to install it in because thats the only x16 slot, but it usually fits without a problem, although i’m also unsure about the piece of wood you’re speaking of?

Dsdavis

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Yes that is the slot i’ve been trying to install it in because thats the only x16 slot, but it usually fits without a problem, although i’m also unsure about the piece of wood you’re speaking of?
Never mind lol, now I understand, thats just a desk behind my pc where I left off the covers and you can see it through the back. It’s nothing actually covering the opening.