Question Computer wont boot after installing new CPU

sepulvado_john

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
I recently purchased a new CPU for my computer, I was changing from the Ryzen 5 2400G to the Ryzen 7 5800X. (MSI B550 Gaming Plus MOBO), I was prompted off PCPartPicker that I would need to update my BIOS for this CPU to work, which was no problem as I had to do it for my current CPU. I checked MSI Compatibility page for the correct BIOS to install for the Ryzen 7 5800X, which was the (7C56v17.zip) -- After updating the BIOS to that version and confirming it updated I shutdown my computer and unplugged from the PSU to switch CPU. After installing the new 1 I went to power on my computer, my computer would turn on but I would NOT get a boot screen nor would any of my peripherals light up, my monitors would just remain black as well as my keyboard and mic. (I am using a actual GPU not the IGPU on the Ryzen 5) I then checked a video of somebody with this exact CPU and MOBO running fine with this BIOS so I figured that definitely wasn't the issue. Shortly after I then powered off my computer, and switched back to my previous CPU (Ryzen 5 2400G) which booted up and ran perfectly fine which I'm currently on right now. Does anybody know any reason this would happen? According to the MSI website I have the correct BIOS installed for the New CPU. Should I send the CPU back and get a new 1? Just looking for some suggestions. Like I mentioned previous, my computer is running 100% fine now that I reinstalled my old CPU. Possible I just received a faulty CPU? Thanks everybody!

UPDATE: I checked pins thoroughly as well as made sure I didn't accidentally get any thermal paste on them, they looked 100% perfect. I updated chipset drivers as well as the BIOS again to the Latest Non-Beta Version, I still couldn't get it to post nor receive any video output. I then tried resetting the CMOS and had the same outcome. Should I just send the CPU back for a new one?

Last edited:

sepulvado_john

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
"I was changing from the Ryzen 5 2400G to the Ryzen 7 5800X"

Unlike the Ryzen 5 2400G, the Ryzen 7 5800X does not have an iGPU, so you have to install a graphics card and connect your monitor to that.

I apologize I should have mentioned, I do have a GPU installed that my monitors are connected to. With the new CPU Installed it wont boot at all, My Computer will power on but monitors do not receive an Input as well as my peripherals remain powerless.

sepulvado_john

Reputable
Mar 19, 2018
Checked the 5800x for bent pins?

Can even update to latest non beta bios and try again, do update the chipset drivers first.

I checked pins thoroughly as well as made sure I didn't accidentally get any thermal paste on them, they looked 100% perfect. I updated chipset drivers as well as the BIOS to the Latest Non-Beta Version, I still couldn't get it to post nor receive any video output. I then tried resetting the CMOS and had the same outcome. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Double check the support page. I know with AsRock on my b350 board you had to update the bios in sequence. For example when they supported ryzen 5000 series on it with a beta bios, you couldn’t just install the newest bios, but you had to install a bridge bios first, then install the latest bios. So check for situations like that. If you did that your cpu could be doa since you know you have the proper version and that your old cpu works properly.