Computer won't boot into windows unless I select SSD in boot manager in bios every time.

Uncut

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
I just built a new computer and installed windows 10 pro onto a Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD. Everytime i start my computer up it starts at the Asus logo screen where you can hit Del or F2 to enter bios(which is normal) then goes to the American Megatrends screen where it stays. I then have to hit F1 to enter the bios there and have to go to boot manager and select my ssd which will then load up windows.

Why won't windows boot up from my ssd by itself? I have my SSD followed by my 1TB WD Blue HDD in the boot priority.

Some solutions i have tried but haven't fixed the issue are:

Reinstalling windows, Trying different Sata Ports, and attempting to repair startup on windows install. Ive been on support with Asus and Microsoft with no luck.

My components are Intel I7 6700k, Z170-A Asus Motherboard, 16gb of GSkill 2800mhz ram, a Gigabyte G1 980 GPU, and a 850w EVGA power supply.

jjgrosk008

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Go into your case and plug the SSD into the first slot. The board boots in order depending on what's put where, so find where the SSD connects and make sure it's in the first slot.

Uncut

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

Didn't work. I also stated that i tried different Sata Ports which is what you just suggested.

I found the Solution myself. I have a Kraken x61 water cooler which has a 3 pin water pump. I hooked it up to my water pump spot on motherboard which is 4 pin which works no problem. My case has a fan hub on it and with Asus technology with the Fan Xpert I guess it doesn't register all the fans and it didn't register the CPU Fan. This was causing my motherboard to think the computer would overheat and giving me a cpu fan speed error. I had to go into my Bios and go under Monitor and select cpu fan and set it to ignore. This then allowed my cpu to boot normally.

I tooth

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Wow!
I have had the same problem for months. I tied your "cpu fan monitor" setting change and system boots just fine now. Who would have "thunk" that was the problem! Thanks for the solution. How did you come up with it? I would never had considered that.
Rmb

I tooth

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014

Yes, my system is water cooled and I knew it would not recognized a cpu fan. But I would never had figured out why my system would not boot properly because of that. Again how did you figure that out. Not sure what the cpu fan setting has to do with boot up. Yes I would get an error at start up saying cpu fan not recognized but I knew that would be the case as my system is water cooled and there is no fan connected to the cpu fan header.
rmb

jennybird7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
I had the same problem where I installed my new Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD and when I would shutdown and start my computer back up it would go to the American Megatrends screen or sometimes it would just be a black screen with a cursor and do nothing. I switched my SSD sata connector from sata0 to sata1 on my motherboard and that fixed the issue for me.