Computer Won't Power On Unless I Drain PSU

Starks_1

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Hey Everyone,

Every morning now, I have to pull the power cord out of my Corsair 850W and flip the switch to off. I wait about 10-20 seconds, reconnect cord, flip the switch and then the computer powers on after hitting the front I/O power button.

Is this my PSU on the verge of dying or maybe the MSI Z97 Gaming 5?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Sounds like a PSU problem. Most commonly it can mean the PSU is now failing.

Some of the circuitry could be bad and is causing the PSU to over/under charge etc without power cycling.
You also have a decent brand PSU, these often perform a quick power test with components, if the power test fails, it can not boot, or immediately cut power.

Checking the PSU with a multimeter may give a false sense of security depending on your problem, I would swap out the PSU and see if its functions without the power drain. If the PSU functions otherwise, it could be the board.

Starks_1

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017

Thank you for your reply. I'll have to purchase a new PSU to test, as I don't have an extra one. Oddly enough, the computer will power on if it's only shut off for a couple hours. Overnight though, it will not.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Does it function if you do a full power cycle? As in unplug the psu, hold the pc power button for 10 seconds, then plug back in?

Starks_1

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017

Yep, I have to do that in the morning because I turn the computer off over night. I went out during the afternoon and shut it off as a test. Came back a few hours later and it turned right on. The next morning though, it was back to the same (unplugging it and draining power in order to get it to boot).