Sep 16, 2022
Just installed a new graphics card (Asus Radeon RX 6800 16gb) and now my computer wont start. It has power; motherboard power indicator lights up, and mouse/keyboard light up (RGB peripherals). When I hit the power button theres a brief "whine" a single beep, then nothing. I put the old card back in (Asus Radeon RX 560 4gb) and everything worked fine.
Specs:
Asus Rog Strix B550-f motherboard
Ryzen 7 5800x cpu with H100i AIO cooler
3 additional 120mm fans
64GB DDR4 RAM
Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid drive
Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD
WIN 10 (installed on SSD)
Rosewill Photon Series 750w modular PSU 80+gold certified
Old GPU: Radeon RX 560 4gb (working)
New GPU Radeon RX6800 16gb (not working)

Sep 10, 2022
Try to DDU your driver with that old GPU, like DDU using AMD graphic uninstaller app. Leave it like that. Try to run the new GPU, see if it works (windows install new driver automatically). If not, try to install the last supporting driver 22.8.2 (optional) or maybe just try 22.5.1 WHQL both will support RX6800. Reboot with new GPU see if that works.

If not, with your old gpu, try to configure bios setting, such us the particular pcie lane used for that gpu, make sure the it is running at x16, and choose gen 4 mode instead of auto. Maybe your bios ‘auto’ configuration set to whatever appropriate for your previous gpu and it’s not supporting current GPU. It’s just plain assumption hope it can help

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022
Try to DDU your driver with that old GPU, like DDU using AMD graphic uninstaller app. Leave it like that. Try to run the new GPU, see if it works (windows install new driver automatically). If not, try to install the last supporting driver 22.8.2 (optional) or maybe just try 22.5.1 WHQL both will support RX6800. Reboot with new GPU see if that works.

If not, with your old gpu, try to configure bios setting, such us the particular pcie lane used for that gpu, make sure the it is running at x16, and choose gen 4 mode instead of auto. Maybe your bios ‘auto’ configuration set to whatever appropriate for your previous gpu and it’s not supporting current GPU. It’s just plain assumption hope it can help
Cookiez, thank you for your prompt reply. I have tried everything you suggested, and unfortunately nothing changed. I even double checked all the power cables to ensure theyre snug. I dont think the cables are bad; with psu plugged in, but power off, I saw the connections on the gpu were lit red, but that went away when I attached the pcie power cables. (Could just indicate they detected a cable, not necessarily that they had power... Im just grasping at straws here.) I am at a total loss. I even had the geek squad at best buy look at it yesterday and they basically said, "Yep, everything looks right." and asked if I wanted to check it in, with a minimum 3 day wait I decided to try and troubleshoot it myself as Ive usually had good success doing these things on my own. Did I just buy a fancy brick?

Sep 10, 2022
Cookiez, thank you for your prompt reply. I have tried everything you suggested, and unfortunately nothing changed. I even double checked all the power cables to ensure theyre snug. I dont think the cables are bad; with psu plugged in, but power off, I saw the connections on the gpu were lit red, but that went away when I attached the pcie power cables. (Could just indicate they detected a cable, not necessarily that they had power... Im just grasping at straws here.) I am at a total loss. I even had the geek squad at best buy look at it yesterday and they basically said, "Yep, everything looks right." and asked if I wanted to check it in, with a minimum 3 day wait I decided to try and troubleshoot it myself as Ive usually had good success doing these things on my own. Did I just buy a fancy brick?

There’s always chance to get faulty products and at this stage I’d just RMA it, get a refund, buy from a more reliable store. Did you purchase new product or refurbished? I’m from Aus but I heard many bad stuffs about best buys in the forums.

Because being honest, if all set to default, and no faulty within your system, a GPU should just be a plug n play hardware. It should just be as easy as putting new speakers, monitor, mice, keyboard, plug and play.

I wouldn’t bother giving myself headache if I were you, I’d just return it. If another new GPU gives you the same problem, then I’d start to worry about deeper settings in the system, or even potentially hardwares fautly like maybe, your PSU fail to supply the minimum power required for the GPU, that’s potentially the closest problem we could assume here. PSU. Though you have good enough PSU in term of wattage, who knows it actually fails to supply the power required by the GPU.

and use this momentum to RMA and get yourself a 6800xt with PSU bundle may be a good idea lol

Sep 16, 2022
There’s always chance to get faulty products and at this stage I’d just RMA it, get a refund, buy from a more reliable store. Did you purchase new product or refurbished? I’m from Aus but I heard many bad stuffs about best buys in the forums.

Because being honest, if all set to default, and no faulty within your system, a GPU should just be a plug n play hardware. It should just be as easy as putting new speakers, monitor, mice, keyboard, plug and play.

I wouldn’t bother giving myself headache if I were you, I’d just return it. If another new GPU gives you the same problem, then I’d start to worry about deeper settings in the system, or even potentially hardwares fautly like maybe, your PSU fail to supply the minimum power required for the GPU, that’s potentially the closest problem we could assume here. PSU. Though you have good enough PSU in term of wattage, who knows it actually fails to supply the power required by the GPU.

and use this momentum to RMA and get yourself a 6800xt with PSU bundle may be a good idea lol
Yea I think I am going to go the RMA route at this point. I purchased it new from newegg. I only took it to best buy to see if they would see something I missed, as thats the closest/only computer repair option near me. (And that was an hour away!) Thanks for your input, I appreciate the effort.

Sep 10, 2022
Yea I think I am going to go the RMA route at this point. I purchased it new from newegg. I only took it to best buy to see if they would see something I missed, as thats the closest/only computer repair option near me. (And that was an hour away!) Thanks for your input, I appreciate the effort.

oh ok that's a plot twist all good man! good luck and hope you sort it out real quick