Question Computer won't start without removing usb that comes from monitor

Mar 25, 2022
I just got an upgrade on my video card and my PSU, Strix RTX 3070ti and Super Flower LEADEX III 850W, from previously Zotac GTX 1070ti and Corsair RM650x. Before the upgrade I didn't need to remove the USB that comes from the monitor to turn the PC on, now if I let the USB be plugged in, my PC won't boot. The light from VGA turns on, but the PC starts to loop on/off.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022
is that a USB cable? What is purpose of the USB?
Does monitor have a USB slot on it?
what monitor is it?

https://www.lg.com/uk/microsites/audio-video/usb-ports-on-monitors

where were you plugging it in before?
It is a USB type B cable that comes from monitor to PC, so I can use the USBs that the monitor has.
I used it when I had the previous setup, GTX 1070ti and Corsair 650w PSU.
It began when I changed to my new PSU and VGA, Strix RTX 3070ti, and Super Flower LEADEX III 850W.

This is the monitor https://www.gamemax-br.com/produto/GMX34CKXQ.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can see their aren't any drivers for monitor
it shouldn't need them for a pass through cable.

Is GPU still using same connector on monitor? it shouldn't make a difference

Might need to ask Gamesmax. I can't find anything similar.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I didn't have any problems with this USB before changing my PSU, it must be something related to it.

Super Flower don't make bad PSU, its main reason I don't really agree with you. It could be a bad one but its unusual if this is only thing showing any problems.
As above said, is anything attached to USB slots on monitor?
can you use a different USB cable?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Inspect motherboard usb port as well for any bent contacts that may have happened reconnecting cables after working on pc.

Have you been using the same usb port on computer? Tried others? Maybe because it's the only usb3 port but usb2 should still work at least to troubleshoot.

Mar 25, 2022
PULijnc.png

I tried messing with the BIOS and found this option hovered in the image, enabled the USB power delivery while the PC is off, and fixed the issue about the PC not turning on with the USB cable from the monitor plugged.

Mar 25, 2022
Hmm glad you got it sorted but such option wasn't on before? Don't know why different psu or gpu would all of a sudden make that setting matter.
I think I got a real problem with the PSU. My PC just turned off suddenly. I checked the Windows event viewer, and the error message is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Mar 25, 2022
Instead of trying all sorts, get the psu replaced. Corsair Rmx or Hxi.
I started the SuperFlower PSU RMA. I tried to use my old Corsair 650w PSU with the Strix RTX 3070ti, but the PC is shutting down too with kernel power 41 in the event viewer.
So I removed the RTX 3070ti and put back my old GTX 1070 with the new Super Flower PSU. I got the same problem with the USB from the monitor, the PC won't turn on with the USB plugged. I needed to remove it to turn it on.