Concerned about my 3770k temperatures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jdx3ds

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I guess "Technically" it's overclocked since the turbo limit ratios are 39-39-38-37.. so when all 4 cores/8 threads are under load its clock rate is 3700mhz. I ran some different things including prime95 and in RealTemp 3.70 the highest temps were

61 - 63 - 61 - 59

They could be lower if all my fans were on max speed, I believe. I don't think AI suite is accurately measuring the temperature and thus not ramping up the fan speeds correctly. case: nzxt phantom, cooler: cooler master n520

My only worry is that I didn't seat the heatsink correctly and/or applied the thermal paste wrong

gabix87

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I've assembled my new rig just friday. The idle temps were a bit strange to me ,so I've googled a bit. So here am I.

3770K Stock , no OC yet - S-spec: SR0PL , Stepping: 9, Rev: E1
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue LP CL9
GTX570 DCII (not running through iGPU)
Noctua U12P /w NF-F12 PWM
Corsair Graphite 600T - Front+Top 200mm Fan , Back Noctua NF-S12B FLX

I'vereapplied NOCTUA NT-H1 thermal paste twice.

IDLE temps - cpu load under 5-10% (putty,chrome(7tabs),desktop gadgets,ESS,AiSuite...)
core-temp ver. 1.0 RC3 (polling time 500ms) : the temps are jumping like hell - +-3C picked up average 37-37-39-38
AISuite : CPU 36-39.0C , Mobo 35.0C, Vcore 1.022V atm

OT : when the multiplier is changing the temps are jumping with it :D lol

Prime95 - runtime:5min ;
core-temp : max - 71-73-73-71
AiSuite : 51.0C (???) , Mobo : 35.0C

LinX - 5runs
core-temp : max - 71-73-73-71

Touched the HSF bottom when priming and it wasn't very hot, just warm.
Had Q6600 before 3770K and it was OCed to 3Ghz with 1.325V, I think. In idle was around 30-34C and load max temps 60C. I know, just sayin'. Didn't tried stock hsf.

EDIT: same temps with RealTemp 3.70

ausnorton

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

havent installed windows yet due to a drive issue, am awaiting new drives to comein so i can windows on there.
Only went into bios to try and fix the drive error, saw the autotune tune and thought why not see what happens?
when i get it all finished i'll be resetting to std and oc'ing it. 4.4ghz @ 1.15v is what i've seen others getting and would be happy to achieve that. i dont want to really go over 1.25v-1.3v. will be using voltage off set.
system was showing 1.09v at idle with a +0.15 v off set but also displaying 1.29v @4.223ghz. i think this has something to do with PLL(?) compensation?
of course real world testing etc will paint a completely different figure. i just wanted to share a base line no OS temp figure (with watercooling) as a reference point.

sorry but the merging of the threads has confused issues.

Pushpins (intel stock style but used by others too) need to be firm. screwed ones just need to be tight.

Look to the fourth post, unless things are substantially different to the first and third posts then i stick by my comments in the fourth.

Diablosg

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
So i was looking around for news on any new cpu's that might be comin out soon and i ended up here. :(

Well while i am here i will help as much as a i can.

@jdx3ds who started this thread u should take 13thmonkey's advice and check the seating of your heatsink it should not be able to move at all, i know it might seem like your gonna break something when placing it tight but it was made to go on like that so dont worry about it.

Another thing you should look into is changing your thermal paste or get a different cpu cooler (Recommend Cooler Master X6 or V6), if you search google on your High-heating topic you will find that there are others having the same problem, but that was because of the thermal paste that is on the stock cooler apparently it helped most people to change that.