Jan 9, 2024
The GPU I want, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super, isn't currently available, so I'm thinking of buying an equivalent - PowerColor Radeon RX 6600 Fighter 8GB GDDR6.

That GPU is produced by PowerColor, but I have never heard of this brand. Can someone tell me if this is a reputable brand or should I just buy established models such as MSI, Nvidia, ASUS, Gigabyte?

I don't want to get a low-quality GPU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
They only make AMD GPU like Sapphire so could be why you haven't heard of them. They are one of the top two AMD GPU makers, besides the more well known brands.

In a review for that gpu I watched, it was mentioned it was the RX 6600 sent out by AMD to reviewers as there weren't any reference models. I assume AMD must trust them if they used it as an example.

I have used a Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT for almost 18 months now, they aren't bad quality cards. I don't want to jinx myself but its been good so far.
bxXhVM1.jpeg

second opinions - link - link

they make one of the fastest 7900 XTX you can buy

Last edited:

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Not me, but back when Vega was the hot new thing I knew someone who owned a Red Devil Vega 64. Never had any problems with it. Sure that's only one sample but still... I honestly would pick it up, no problem..

cowboi123

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
They only make AMD GPU like Sapphire so could be why you haven't heard of them. They are one of the top two AMD GPU makers, besides the more well known brands.
I can only agree!

I've had around 6 PowerColor cards in the past (including a Red Devil Vega 64), never had any issues with them. If I were to consider an AMD card in the future, I certainly would not hesitate getting one made by PowerColor.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's really not much daylight between any of the legit GPU companies. Some are larger than others, but they all have similar policies and are overseen by similar people in similar places with similar priorities. EVGA was really the only GPU brand that was a little different, with their emphasis on the enthusiast market and their aggressively generous RMA process (explicit acceptance of reseller warranties and frequently providing slightly better GPUs than an RMA one). But EVGA isn't really a thing nay longer.

Reactions: artk2219

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Do not trust youtube videos, more like.

Price and to a lesser degree GPU physical size are most important. Maybe a driver package manager would also be a consideration, but it's not important enough to trump price or size.

For example i own a Gigabyte motherboard and GPU and it's convenient to have both updated using the same manager. If i had bought an ASUS GPU, i'd need ASUS' manager as well as Gigabyte's, or i would have to install drivers manualy or rely on nvidia or AMD.
But, if the ASUS GPU was a better deal, i'd take it. Same with AsRock, PNY or whoever else.

Maybe i'm in the minority but i'm really annoyed at having to instal so many auxilliary tools to keep components and peripherals up to date. Some don't make a fuss but steelseries for example is annoying enough for me to not consider their products any more.
/rant

Jun 23, 2024
He had a pretty legit reason to post that video. Sadly EVGA is a ghost of it's former glory and whatever is left is not doing a good job as shown. Saying don't trust Youtube videos is like saying don't trust those forums : / Depends on the publisher and their knowledge.

The GPU I want, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super, isn't currently available, so I'm thinking of buying an equivalent - PowerColor Radeon RX 6600 Fighter 8GB GDDR6.

That GPU is produced by PowerColor, but I have never heard of this brand. Can someone tell me if this is a reputable brand or should I just buy established models such as MSI, Nvidia, ASUS, Gigabyte?

I don't want to get a low-quality GPU.
They're good, I've used many many many power color gpus over the past 20+ years. From the Radeon 9600 pro days (2003), to my wife's current RX 7900 xtx, I haven't had any issues that could be directly attributed to them, and no more issues than with any other manufacturer, everyone makes a dud every now and again. I've had to RMA a couple of gpus from them in the past, (like 13 years ago, Radeon HD 6870 and 6850), but I've RMA'd GPU's from basically every GPU manufacturer at this point, including the vaunted EVGA (I'm looking at you 8800 GTX's), honestly, pretty much every one of the major GPU manufacturer is about the same. Some particular models are better or worse than others, but no brand is really much better than another when it comes to reliability. They work well, and if you do have an issue, they come with a decent warranty, and they honor it, just make sure to keep your receipt. Also, the RX 6600 is significantly faster than the GTX 1660 super, 30+ percent, and it actually has ray tracing support for all the people that love things that they can't actually use well right now. A GTX 1660 super has not been an amazing buy for a long time, but it's a particularly bad buy now, used or new, its pricing does not match up with its performance.

RX 7600 review with a bunch of gpus in relationship to one another.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do not trust youtube videos, more like.
Generally I would agree with you but he shows you why you shouldn't in the video by taking the card apart and showing the damage caused by their repair. He is a repair store, the only potential value to him is more repair requests, but this is a warning as you can't fix the cards once they are in this state.

I tend to believe him as others trust him with more

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Generally I would agree with you but he shows you why you shouldn't in the video by taking the card apart and showing the damage caused by their repair. He is a repair store, the only potential value to him is more repair requests, but this is a warning as you can't fix the cards once they are in this state.

I tend to believe him as others trust him with more
Fair point. There are trustworthy sources on youtube.

Also a side note, both power color, and sparkle, are owned by the tul corporation. Sparkle is the name tul uses for Intel GPU's, external GPU's, and thunderbolt docks. So if you're ever in the market for any of those, know they all come from the same basic company.

Reactions: 35below0