Concerned with my power supply of choice.

danielhep

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Okay, so I already ordered a PSU for my computer of the following specs:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/63Ot

And I already have the motherboard, CPU and RAM, and I ordered the PSU and case tonight. However, I'm beginning to worry about the PSU (I can cancel shipping because it's not yet a weekday).

Obviously, 850 watts is overkill for this build, but that looks like a good quality power supply to me, so I'm not too worried about that part, but I'm thinking that I might still get an 750-800 watt one that's modular and better quality. What are your thoughts? Also, if I get the 850 watt one, will it being constantly using 850 watts or is that the "maximum" that the computer can use? Also, how many watts would I need if I ever want to overclock to say, 4.5ghz?

You don't need a 850w PSU, if you really want SeaSonic look at the X series 660w(modular) or you can consider XFX core edition Pro/XXX(modular) 650w models. In truth a solid 550w is what you need for that build. Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 600w perfect.

danielhep

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Crap, it got shipped (on a weekend??).
Should I go through the hassle of returning it or should I just use it? Dang it.

AlderonnX

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
i would use that thing, Seasonic is one of the best brands and it will only draw as much power as you need. Chances are you will be reusing that PSU on your next 2-3 builds

I would have gone with the SeaSonic X series 650w or a XFX 650w unit, on the motherboard side, having tested it and run it to its limits the MSI Z68A GD65/80's are exceptional quality, the 2600K failed and the motherboard was still able to take another CPU afterwards, its a big up for MSI and another indictment on Gigabyte whom I would no longer recomend on intel builds.

danielhep

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

Already have the motherboard (it was a present, so I can't complain)