[SOLVED] Connect computer to amplifier through Samsung qled smart TV for 5.1 Dolby Digital

Sep 17, 2020
Hello,

I recently bought a Samsung Qled smart TV (QE49Q67) and an amplifier (Yamaha RX-V400RDS).
I connected the TV to the amplifier with an optical cable, and my computer (Windows 10 with motherboard Gigabyte X99-gaming 5P) is connected by HDMI to the TV.

The TV is able to cast 5.1 Dolby Digital to the amplifier through the optical cable, by I can't manage to send 5.1 from my laptop to the amplifier, only stereo is able to go through HDMI from my computer to the TV.

I tried many things but now I'm stuck with stereo only when I use my computer.

How can I manage to have 5.1 sound from my computer to the amplifier ?
I guess I can connect the laptop directly to the amplifier but I don't even know how... But it would be better if I can use the setup I already have : Computer -> HDMI to TV -> Optical to amplifier

Thanks for the help !

Solution
Thanks for the answer.

I can't do it because the amplifier doesn't have any hdmi port...

I see now, it's an old style amp.

You have 2 choices.
1. Your pc has an optical out, you can connect straight to amp via optical (you will obviously lose surround output from the TV this way)

2. You can buy 3 x 3.5mm Jack to 2 x rca cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...qid=1600355373&quoq=3.5mm+to+twin+rca&sr=8-31

And use the analog audio outs on rear of pc to 6 channel analog...
Thanks for the answer.

I can't do it because the amplifier doesn't have any hdmi port...

I see now, it's an old style amp.

You have 2 choices.
1. Your pc has an optical out, you can connect straight to amp via optical (you will obviously lose surround output from the TV this way)

2. You can buy 3 x 3.5mm Jack to 2 x rca cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10...qid=1600355373&quoq=3.5mm+to+twin+rca&sr=8-31

And use the analog audio outs on rear of pc to 6 channel analog in on the amp, leaving the TV connected as it is.

Reactions: Skizaru
Solution