[SOLVED] connect desktop to docking station?

hubbs_67

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I have been working from home for awhile now, and just trying to simplify things a bit / save some room on my desk. I am wondering if there is some easy way to have something like a KVM switch and a docking station work together? Ideally what I would like to be able to do is to connect my 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse and headset to a docking station, and then to be able to just press a button and have it switch between my work laptop and personal PC. (From what I understand, a traditional KVM switch can accept inputs from two different computers and select which one to output to your monitor, but I believe then I would need a laptop that would have 2 different monitor outputs to be able to use this, which my laptop does not have).

With the number of people working from home, I am sure I am not the only person who has had this dilemma - would appreciate any suggestions of this could be set up.

Thanks to anyone who responds! :)

Solution
I have been working from home for awhile now, and just trying to simplify things a bit / save some room on my desk. I am wondering if there is some easy way to have something like a KVM switch and a docking station work together? Ideally what I would like to be able to do is to connect my 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse and headset to a docking station, and then to be able to just press a button and have it switch between my work laptop and personal PC. (From what I understand, a traditional KVM switch can accept inputs from two different computers and select which one to output to your monitor, but I believe then I would need a laptop that would have 2 different monitor outputs to be able to use this, which my laptop does not have)...

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model/laptop and docking station?

Remember that, if I understand correctly, the laptop is being hosted by the docking station and it is the docking station's keyboard, video, and mouse ports that become relevant.

Google "KVM switch with dual monitor support".

Examples only:

https://windowsreport.com/kvm-switch-multiple-monitors/

https://www.amazon.com/CKL-Monitor-...7KVJ54X2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=3

Sketch out your desired /required connections paying attention to connection types and plug/port genders.

Include connection types and genders.

You most likely will need some additional cables and adapters.

Then revise the search criteria to match up the keyboard, monitor, and mouse connections.

Make the diagram big enough so you can make notes on it regarding each component that is necessary: basic specs, cost, and source.

Look at images, check for online User Guides/Manuals via the applicable manufacturer. Read the fine print for all potential products....

I have been working from home for awhile now, and just trying to simplify things a bit / save some room on my desk. I am wondering if there is some easy way to have something like a KVM switch and a docking station work together? Ideally what I would like to be able to do is to connect my 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse and headset to a docking station, and then to be able to just press a button and have it switch between my work laptop and personal PC. (From what I understand, a traditional KVM switch can accept inputs from two different computers and select which one to output to your monitor, but I believe then I would need a laptop that would have 2 different monitor outputs to be able to use this, which my laptop does not have).

With the number of people working from home, I am sure I am not the only person who has had this dilemma - would appreciate any suggestions of this could be set up.

Thanks to anyone who responds! :)

Yes a KVM and a dock for the laptop would work together, put the video out on the dock to the KVM. If you don't have a dock yet and don't need one for the laptop use, you can buy a USB video card for the second video display, If laptop has USB C that would be the best way, but there are USB 3 ones that work well for basic tasks. You just need to make sure all the video outputs match what the KVM and monitors will be using.

Solution