Question Connect FiOS up to my wired home Ethernet jacks?

Dec 9, 2023
Howdy All,

I had a networking technician quote me $5k for a bunch of commercial access points and a hub, so I hope there's a more elegant, cheaper solution.

Setup: Verizon FiOS modem on 3rd floor, broadcasting WiFi, but there are weak spots throughout the house.

Networking panel lives in the garage. The only network jack that has a live signal is to the 3rd floor fios modem.

How do I change the networking panel, so that all the Ethernet jacks get signal, then I can set up a wireless access point for my dead spots?

Photos of the network panel here:
View: https://imgur.com/a/UWK2P71

In the first pic, the underside of the dongle connected to the Ethernet cable says CAT6.
This is the only jack that's powered. This is connected from the "In" cable to the 3rd floor bedroom, which is where the FiOS modem router lives.

Last edited:
Solution
That is basically correct.

FIOS most times comes in on a fiber. There should be a box that converts it to ethernet. That white box looks more like a power supply but maybe that is the ONT.

In any case it seems you have a blue wire and a grey wire. You might want to put a RJ45 on the blue wire.

So lets say the blue wire goes upstairs but this might be reversed.

Take the grey wire and plug it into the verizon router wan/in port. Then depending on how many lan ports the verizon router has you can just plug the blue wire along with all the other wires into the lan ports. If you do not have enough lan ports you can add a switch and plug that into the router lan port and plug other rooms into the switch.

Now this will...

kanewolf

Titan
Howdy All,

I had a networking technician quote me $5k for a bunch of commercial access points and a hub, so I hope there's a more elegant, cheaper solution.

Setup: Verizon FiOS modem on 3rd floor, broadcasting WiFi, but there are weak spots throughout the house.

Networking panel lives in the garage. The only network jack that has a live signal is to the 3rd floor fios modem.

How do I change the networking panel, so that all the Ethernet jacks get signal, then I can set up a wireless access point for my dead spots?

Photos of the network panel here:
View: https://imgur.com/a/UWK2P71

In the first pic, the underside of the dongle connected to the Ethernet cable says CAT6.
This is the only jack that's powered. This is connected from the "In" cable to the 3rd floor bedroom, which is where the FiOS modem router lives.
You would have to add a network switch into the box in the garage. The panel that the cables are plugged into now is a phone splitter. You would disconnect the cables from the rooms from that panel and plug them into a switch. The cable coming from the 3rd floor with the FIOS router wuold have to connect to the LAN side of the FIOS router and plug into the switch in the garage.

Reactions: thpocket
Dec 9, 2023
You would have to add a network switch into the box in the garage. The panel that the cables are plugged into now is a phone splitter. You would disconnect the cables from the rooms from that panel and plug them into a switch. The cable coming from the 3rd floor with the FIOS router wuold have to connect to the LAN side of the FIOS router and plug into the switch in the garage.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply!
So to be clear, i should move the FiOS modem to the garage, connect it to the "in" cable, then run that through a switch that has all the network jacks plugged into it to power the network ports throughout the house?

FIOS most times comes in on a fiber. There should be a box that converts it to ethernet. That white box looks more like a power supply but maybe that is the ONT.

In any case it seems you have a blue wire and a grey wire. You might want to put a RJ45 on the blue wire.

Take the grey wire and plug it into the verizon router wan/in port. Then depending on how many lan ports the verizon router has you can just plug the blue wire along with all the other wires into the lan ports. If you do not have enough lan ports you can add a switch and plug that into the router lan port and plug other rooms into the switch.

Now this will give you ethernet in all the rooms. Problem is your wifi coverage is likely to be worse so you will need to add AP or small routers running in AP mode to remote rooms.

............A interesting note when ATT put fiber in my house they refused to put the ONT in the garage where my patch panel was. They claimed it was too hot in summer and too cold in winter and they had to put the ONT in a climate controlled area. Just made things more difficult for me.

Solution
Dec 9, 2023

Now this will give you ethernet in all the rooms. Problem is your wifi coverage is likely to be worse so you will need to add AP or small routers running in AP mode to remote rooms.

............A interesting note when ATT put fiber in my house they refused to put the ONT in the garage where my patch panel was. They claimed it was too hot in summer and too cold in winter and they had to put the ONT in a climate controlled area. Just made things more difficult for me.
Thanks for clarifying! I believe the ONT is outside and the white box is power, so what you're saying tracks.
I've just purchased a switch and will put my TP-Link router into WAP mode, so let's see how this goes!

Dec 9, 2023
You need a router someplace. It depends on if the verizon box is a router or just a fiber converter. It has to go --fiber---ont--router---switch---ap
The Verizon FiOS modem also doubles as a router. Today, the connection is from outside (presumably), to the network panel (via the gray "in" wire), to the bedroom Ethernet cable (blue wire), to the bedroom network jack, then finally from the jack to the FiOS modem/router, to broadcast the signal.

kanewolf

Titan
The Verizon FiOS modem also doubles as a router. Today, the connection is from outside (presumably), to the network panel (via the gray "in" wire), to the bedroom Ethernet cable (blue wire), to the bedroom network jack, then finally from the jack to the FiOS modem/router, to broadcast the signal.
If the gray cable is the input from FIOS, then you have to move the FIOS router to the garage, because you don't have another cable to bring the network back out to the garage for distribution.

Dec 9, 2023
If the gray cable is the input from FIOS, then you have to move the FIOS router to the garage, because you don't have another cable to bring the network back out to the garage for distribution.
Thank you @kanewolf and @bill001g!

Thanks to your tips, I've managed to make it work, connecting the "in" line to my FiOS modem/router, then to a TP Link switch, then plugged in the network jacks from the rooms to the switch, finally connecting my WAP (TP Link AX3000) to one of the room jacks to further broadcast the signal.

My challenge now is that speeds could be faster and the network panel now has the FiOS modem hanging out of it, because the cable is so short. That's a problem for another day.

Thank you again for your patience and help!

Rob