Connect laptop No display at external monitor

denis_07

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Hello,
I connect my laptop to external monitor no signal and no picture. But when I use another laptop connect to external monitor it work. please anyone can help what is going wrong with my laptop.

Thanks,
shrek

what laptop make/model do you have?

typically newer laptops have a button that enable it to switch to external screen output, it should be among the F1-F12 keys or in the viscinity and typically this mode will be activated by pressing Fn+F# key that corresponds to the function.

if you have a users manual for your laptop, refer to the keyboard section for explanation of what functions different keys have

denis_07

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
My laptop is IBM ThinkPad X series and model lenovo X61.

I have try a button on Fn+F7 key to enable it to switch it to external screen output. It is not working and show no signal on the LCD monitor.

Thanks AntZig for your information.

Do I need any setup or change any setting of my computer to make it work? Do anyone able to help?

Reply to denis_07

do you know the default resolution of your external monitor?

if it's recognized, go to the screen resolution settings (right click the desktop > properties > settings)

you should be able to see that you have 2 monitors connected, number 1 primary, this is your laptop screen, number 2 should be your external.

what you want to do is click that number 2 box and then set the resolution to the one your external monitor supports.

if there's still no signal either your VGA ports are malfunctioning or your VGA cable is not working