[SOLVED] Connect to NAS from anywhere

Jun 16, 2022
Hi,

Basically i have a NAS which i use to hold all the links in a application i use. the NAS is on my private network so when im at home all i have to do is add the file to the application and it stores it in the NAS and then when i want to open the file in the application it uses the file directory to bring it up on the application. When im not at home i can connect to the NAS but only thru a web address and cant get to it thru file directory so none of the files can be accessed on the application.

Does anyone know a way i could access it so i could open the links in the application it has to use a Hyperlink basepath the current one looks like this \\NAS NAME\Hyperlinks

NAS is a Buffalo TS5410D

Solution
There really is no safe way to share files like you want without vpn. There are some methods of getting access via web browser type apps but that is very different than using a microsoft share point.

There are many routers that have a vpn server function. I generally do not make specific recommendations but for VPN I will you likely can find other brands that are cheaper. First almost all asus routers have vpn servers and many support the merlin firmware which makes setting up a vpn easier. There are a couple of special routers though that use a CPU that has a encryption accelerator. VPN will cap the cpu on many routers at about 30mbps the ones that use this special cpu can do over 200mbps. The RT-AC86U is the least...
It is kinda scary that you remote access this and do not understand how you are accomplishing this.

Generally you must setup some kind of vpn for this to work. Hard to say what you are currently doing. Worse case the NAS has a web server on it and it is using something like UPnP to open rules in the router. It could also be using a service from the NAS vendor but the data then passes through there data center where they can see all the data. Some of these also allow file sharing but I am unsure what they support. Even if it works not sure you want your data passing through another company.

Although you can directly open microsoft shares to the internet it is a very bad idea. Many ISP block these ports to protect stupid people from themselves. It tends to be very insecure to directly share files over the internet.

What you generally do is use a VPN so you can get remote access to your lan when you are outside the house. It tends to be easiest to setup if your router supports a vpn server function. Some NAS devices also support a VPN server.

Key here for vpn to work is you MUST have a public IP. Check that the IP you see on the wan interface of your router matches what you see on a whatsmyip type of site. After that you must follow the instructions of the vpn server software you use to get a corresponding client installed on your end device.

Once you get the vpn running it will function the same as if you where in your house.

Jun 16, 2022
It is kinda scary that you remote access this and do not understand how you are accomplishing this.

Generally you must setup some kind of vpn for this to work. Hard to say what you are currently doing. Worse case the NAS has a web server on it and it is using something like UPnP to open rules in the router. It could also be using a service from the NAS vendor but the data then passes through there data center where they can see all the data. Some of these also allow file sharing but I am unsure what they support. Even if it works not sure you want your data passing through another company.

Although you can directly open microsoft shares to the internet it is a very bad idea. Many ISP block these ports to protect stupid people from themselves. It tends to be very insecure to directly share files over the internet.

What you generally do is use a VPN so you can get remote access to your lan when you are outside the house. It tends to be easiest to setup if your router supports a vpn server function. Some NAS devices also support a VPN server.

Key here for vpn to work is you MUST have a public IP. Check that the IP you see on the wan interface of your router matches what you see on a whatsmyip type of site. After that you must follow the instructions of the vpn server software you use to get a corresponding client installed on your end device.

Once you get the vpn running it will function the same as if you where in your house.

Thanks for the reply,

Both my NAS and router don't support VPN would the easiest way around this just be buying a VPN compatible router or is there a way around

Thanks

There really is no safe way to share files like you want without vpn. There are some methods of getting access via web browser type apps but that is very different than using a microsoft share point.

There are many routers that have a vpn server function. I generally do not make specific recommendations but for VPN I will you likely can find other brands that are cheaper. First almost all asus routers have vpn servers and many support the merlin firmware which makes setting up a vpn easier. There are a couple of special routers though that use a CPU that has a encryption accelerator. VPN will cap the cpu on many routers at about 30mbps the ones that use this special cpu can do over 200mbps. The RT-AC86U is the least expensive model with it. There are others that support wifi6 etc. If you want others ask and I will try to find the complete list.

Before you get real far check that you have a public IP address. Look at the IP address assigned to your router wan interface. How exactly varies a lot between routers. You can look up what public/private IP means but if the ip in the wan is different than whatsmyip you have a private ip. This means you can not just setup a vpn. There might be other more costly options but in general when you start looking at that you are better off hosting your files in the cloud rather than your nas.

Solution