Connecting a PS3 to a VGA monitor via HDMI to VGA Cable

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017
So i have been trying to connect my PS3 SS to a VGA monitor via HDMI to VGA converter cable, the cable works for my laptop with HDMI and the monitor is 1440x900(LG L192WS) I can get the PS3 to work if i press long enough to hear the second beep and i can see the PS3 in the monitir but it asks if the output Should be HDIM or not. Here comes the very interesting problem. If i choose yes, to output as HDMI my monitor shows no signal (i think because it does not support the resolution) and if i choose no it just goes blank) The PS3 can clearly work with my monitor because it shows the menu for choosing the output. Is there any way to bypass the output screen? or should i connect the ps3 to other display and setup first?

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
The PS3 is capable of outputting what people wrongly call a "VGA signal". The correct term for this is RGBHV through a DB15 cable. This is a form of analog RGB vs HDMI or DVI-d which is digital RGB. The PS3 can output RGBHV and RGBS from either port (hdmi or AV out) as long as the correct settings are chosen.

Here is my PS3 running on my tri-sync arcade monitor which only has DB15 ports and a molex connectors for RGBS and a max resolution of 480p:

%5Burl=https://postimg.cc/ZWQDFjRq%5D%5Bimg%5Dhttps://i.postimg.cc/ZWQDFjRq/sega_rally_480p.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D

If you are using an HDMI to DB15 cable, select HDMI out. If you are using the AV out with RGBS, select RGB scart. Then, change your display settings to reflect the aspect ratio and max res of the monitor. Then, change the output resolution to one your monitor can handle. The PS3 can output 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080p. Then, with the right cables, it will work. Remember to change all 3 settings though. If you select 720p, it won't work if you told the PS3 that your monitor can't do 720p...

You might have issues with digitally encrypted content without a smart digital to analog converter. I only connect to my arcade monitor when using the PS3 for retro gaming so no such issues exist.

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

Thanks mate, ill try and get back to you. Cheers.