Connecting an Intel 313

DizzyElectron

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
How do I connect this thing?

I bought an Intel 313 in the mSATA form factor and a Startech micro SATA to SATA adapter, but the SSD drive does not fit in the adapter. Now I'm confused. What adapter should I get?

I was hoping to connect it to an SATA III ports of a Zotac motherboard. I'm trying to cram a lot of components into a small box and I was hoping to just place the SSD in a corner. It needs 3.3V, so any adapter has to step down the voltage.

Is the Intel 313 mSATA a Mini PCI-e? Reading the Wikipedia article just diminishes my confidence on what to get.

Thanks.

DizzyElectron

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I think I have figured it out. The mSATA connector is not the same as MSATA (also known as microSATA). To complicate things, some PCI-e connectors will accept mSATA cards and some small SSD drives are designed to plug into PCI-e slots.

mSATA and MSATA/microSATA are lousy choices for names: the big M is micro, the small m is mini. Easy to mix up. As usual, if I read the Wikipedia page on SATA I could have prevented this confusion. Newbie builders beware.

So what I need is an mSATA (not microSATA) to SATA adapter.

simplest2remember

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

I so wish I had read this before ordering an MSATA instead of what I needed (an mSATA), especially since I'm in Vietnam.