[SOLVED] Connecting router to Ethernet jack

Neonskull

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Guys I have the following issue and I don't know how to fix it. Any help is appreciated!

I live in a student dorm and I use a router with a DSL connection. However recently they installed Ethernet jacks in every room here so I'd like to switch to the dorm's internet instead of paying for the DSL one.

Note that when connecting my laptop to the Ethernet jack, it's all good and the internet is much faster than the other one. This is one of the main reasons why I want to use the dorm's internet over the older one + it's useless to pay additional money when the dorm provides a faster internet.

Problem

Okayyy, now I'd like to connect the router to the dorm's Ethernet jack so both my laptop and phone can connect to the dorm's internet.

When I check the back of the router it has a port named "DSL" and all other ports are called "LAN1", "LAN2", "LAN3" and "LAN4".

I'm not sure if the router needs to have a special port called "Ethernet" or I can just connect the cable from the Ethernet jack to one of the "LAN" ports.

^ I tried doing the above and my phone connects without any issues to the router and I can browse the internet flawlessly on it, BUT my laptop won't. It connects same as the phone to the router's WiFi without any issues, but when trying to browse the internet it shows that there's no internet connection. I tried the troubleshoot option but it shows that there's no issue found.

When plugging a second Ethernet cable from the laptop to a second "LAN" port on the router - I immediately get connected to the internet without any issues, BUT then my phone disconnects from the internet (still connected to the routers WiFi but no internet) 😕

I have no idea guys how I can fix this issue so both my laptop and my phone can be connected to the dorm's internet via a router. Any help is appreciated!

P.S. The model of the router is a FRITZ!Box 7362 SL.

1und1-homeserver-7362sl-back-750.jpg

Solution
You should get a regular router with a WAN port. Connect that to the wall ethernet. To keep your network somewhat private from the dorm network.

You can try going into your routers settings and disable DHCP so that it acts like a switch or access point. Simply connecting your LAN port without changing settings is likely just causing a conflict.

Note that this all depends on the dorms IT policy. Many don't allow setting up your own network.
You should get a regular router with a WAN port. Connect that to the wall ethernet. To keep your network somewhat private from the dorm network.

You can try going into your routers settings and disable DHCP so that it acts like a switch or access point. Simply connecting your LAN port without changing settings is likely just causing a conflict.

Note that this all depends on the dorms IT policy. Many don't allow setting up your own network.

Reactions: Neonskull
Solution

Neonskull

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015

That's what I thought and I thank you for your reply. I'll try resetting it back to factory settings and try again and I will update on the situation here. I'm scared that once resetted I will not be able to revert to the older settings if things go wrong again, but I will try to save everything beforehand.

Getting a router with a WAN port is a good idea too and I'll definitely do that in the next days.