Connecting vlan on two layer 3 devices

Bhushitd

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
I have two layer 3 switches (4507 and 6509) which are connected via router ports (no switchport) directly.Now i am running a vlan on 6509 which i want to extend beyond 4507 without adding any new route on my 6509 please help !!!

Solution
I suspect the only realistic option is going to be to convert the connection between the switches to a trunk and create a new vlan with vlan interfaces on both side to move the ips to and then carry both vlans across.

The only other option is to run stuff like l2TPv3 but it is not supported on most switch platforms mostly just routers. I think certain 6500 support it. Still it put quite a bit of overhead on the traffic even with it works.
I suspect the only realistic option is going to be to convert the connection between the switches to a trunk and create a new vlan with vlan interfaces on both side to move the ips to and then carry both vlans across.

The only other option is to run stuff like l2TPv3 but it is not supported on most switch platforms mostly just routers. I think certain 6500 support it. Still it put quite a bit of overhead on the traffic even with it works.

Solution