News Connection Congestion: Broadband Speeds Suffering, Some Cities Down 40 Percent or More

USA a great place? debatable.
USA a world power? yes.
USA have good internet? [laughs] so funny.

at this point i'd pay gov if they'd provide actual plans/speeds liek the other developed nations have...

literally sh*t options and they gouge you for mediocre speeds (and caps)

Mar 30, 2020
If you click through to the study, the actual first bullet point is, "Users in most of the cities we analyzed should be experiencing normal network conditions, suggesting that ISP’s (and their networks) are holding up to the shifting demand." But the Tom's headline is, "Connection Congestion: Broadband Speeds Suffering, Some Cities Down 40 Percent or More?" Great reporting, there.

And labeling the ISPs hardest hit by pandemic-related surges as "offenders?" Are hospitals running out of beds also "offenders?" This article is disgusting, and the author should be ashamed.

USA a great place? debatable.
USA a world power? yes.
USA have good internet? [laughs] so funny.

at this point i'd pay gov if they'd provide actual plans/speeds liek the other developed nations have...

literally sh*t options and they gouge you for mediocre speeds (and caps)

It's not all bad.
The problem is that, due to the government's 'hands off' approach (because, America), the ISPs are allowed to run themselves almost like a monopoly.

Do many middle-class families get gouged because there's only one ISP available? Definitely!
Are there great deals to be had elsewhere? Definitely!
Will it change? Not anytime soon.

I think the ones that get gouged the most are the rural Americans who only have one choice for internet. They end up getting locked into a $70+ contract for crappy 2-3Mbps internet. I'm in a city and get 200Mbps for under $55.

I agree with you that the government needs to do SOMETHING for those rural, middle-class Americans. I'm just not sure what.