[SOLVED] Constant BSOD on brand new M.2 and fresh install of Win10 64-bit

essex23

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
So a few weeks ago my boot drive started freaking out and wouldn’t get to Windows, and the USB that had my Windows install/repair files wasn't fixing it...so I went to Micro Center and bought a brand new M.2 (Samsung 980 Pro) and a brand new Windows 10 64-bit USB install drive. got it home, installed it, got windows loaded, no issue...right?

Wrong. Oh. So. Very. WRONG!

I have gotten, constant, and I do mean CONSTANT, various BSOD crashed ever since. This far, I have seen (in order of appearance):

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (Ntfs.sys)
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (win32kfull.sys)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (win32kbase.sys)

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (nvddmkm.sys)

APC_INDEX_MISMATCH (the latest in an unending chain of error messages)

The nvddmkm.sys I found was an Nvidia driver issue so I already took care of that. Otherwise, I have run numerous checks and tests (dskchk, scannow, memtest, etc), and each time they all come back saying nothing is wrong. I am at my wit’s end….and I like to think I have a considerable amount of wit.

Solution
If the issue is still occurring after you installed new OS/M.2, my guess is that it is software related (possibly a bad driver update).

Make sure that all hardware (including RAM) is seated correctly.

Try running your computer in Safe Mode and monitoring its behavior. If it runs fine, but not in normal boot, then roll back drivers/ system updates.
Nov 4, 2021
If the issue is still occurring after you installed new OS/M.2, my guess is that it is software related (possibly a bad driver update).

Make sure that all hardware (including RAM) is seated correctly.

Try running your computer in Safe Mode and monitoring its behavior. If it runs fine, but not in normal boot, then roll back drivers/ system updates.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
how many times did you run memtest? too many random errors for it to be just software (especially if it survived a reinstall)

what are specs of the PC? What CPU?

running in safe mode fine doesn't disclude the problem being hardware. safe mode is less stressful on hardware.

Nov 4, 2021
I'd suggest testing the PC with individual RAM sticks and make sure all cables are properly seated. Then try to recreate the crash.

Also, another thing that may help narrow it down is by going to

Search > "msconfig", press enter> Select "selective startup" >
Disable "load startup items", but leave "load system services" and "Use original boot configuration" checked >
click "services" tab > check "Hide all microsoft services" > click "disable all" > click "ok"

Then restart your PC. If it runs normal, then enable the services manually to see which is causing the problem.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS